GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaf Hoppers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/44323-leaf-hoppers.html)

BillyBudapest 29-09-2003 04:33 AM

Leaf Hoppers

Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

[email protected] 29-09-2003 06:02 AM

Leaf Hoppers

"BillyBudapest" wrote:
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

Organo's are history.

Peter H 29-09-2003 12:31 PM

Leaf Hoppers

"BillyBudapest" wrote in message
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

That's a good question for your MPP.

Peter H

Aaron H. 01-10-2003 04:02 PM

Leaf Hoppers

Ladybugs and other iunsect predators eat leaf hoppers. Grow some border
plants or trees and get rid of any perennial host weeds that allow the
hoppers to overwinter. Organic insecticidal oils will reduce the popuation
of hoppers to a level where the ladybugs can take over if you have a severe
infestation.

On a side note, leaf hoppers will probably not contaminate the ground water
for generations to come. Diazinon, on the other hand, does not break down
quickly and it's byproducts are not inert.

If you simply must have your chemical control solution, nicotine sulfate
kills leaf hoppers dead and degrades extremely quickly. On the other hand,
while it's active, it's extremely toxic to warm-blooded animals, birds, and
all kinds of insects, including the beneficial ones.

"BillyBudapest" wrote in message
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

---

Timothy 03-10-2003 05:30 AM

Leaf Hoppers

"BillyBudapest" wrote in message
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

One option is pyrethrum. Rather cheap and works rather well. It's a lot
safer (to you ) than nicotine.