Old 29-09-2003, 04:33 AM
BillyBudapest

Default Leaf Hoppers

Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

Old 29-09-2003, 06:02 AM

"BillyBudapest" wrote:
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

Organo's are history.
Old 29-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Peter H

"BillyBudapest" wrote in message
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

That's a good question for your MPP.

Peter H

Old 01-10-2003, 04:02 PM
Aaron H.

Ladybugs and other iunsect predators eat leaf hoppers. Grow some border
plants or trees and get rid of any perennial host weeds that allow the
hoppers to overwinter. Organic insecticidal oils will reduce the popuation
of hoppers to a level where the ladybugs can take over if you have a severe
infestation.

On a side note, leaf hoppers will probably not contaminate the ground water
for generations to come. Diazinon, on the other hand, does not break down
quickly and it's byproducts are not inert.

If you simply must have your chemical control solution, nicotine sulfate
kills leaf hoppers dead and degrades extremely quickly. On the other hand,
while it's active, it's extremely toxic to warm-blooded animals, birds, and
all kinds of insects, including the beneficial ones.

"BillyBudapest" wrote in message
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

---

Old 03-10-2003, 05:30 AM
Timothy

"BillyBudapest" wrote in message
Now that they're going to outlaw Diazinon, how are we going to keep leaf
hoppers under control?

Linda in Calgary ( again )

One option is pyrethrum. Rather cheap and works rather well. It's a lot
safer (to you ) than nicotine.

Controlling Leaf Hoppers Rusty Mase Texas 3 02-06-2004 12:16 AM
Lawn Pests: Leaf Hoppers jhultman Gardening 0 22-07-2003 02:32 PM
Lawn Pests: Leaf Hoppers Spud Demon Gardening 1 18-07-2003 07:52 PM
Leaf Hoppers Rusty Mase Texas 1 17-06-2003 01:30 AM
Getting Ahead of the 'Hoppers Marcesent Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:08 AM