Old 26-02-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered User

Default kerosene and a match to my lawn

Hi, I currently have centipede in my front lawn (columbia,sc), but it is really patchy and crappy. I put in a sprinkler system last year and I reseeded many of the patched areas. I fertilized the areas as well, but it really only grew in a couple places.

What I really want to do (since I have 2 big honkin' oak trees in the front) is to replace the centipede with st augustine since much of the front yard is shaded.

How should I go about doing this? I was told by many that you cannot get st augustine seed in north america, only plugs and sod.

If I sod, do I have to rent a sod cutter and take out everything? If I do plugs, can I just plug everywhere throughout the lawn amidst the centipede grass?

Or should I just go buy some kerosene and light my yard on fire and roast weenies?
Old 27-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Steve Wolfe

What I really want to do (since I have 2 big honkin' oak trees in the
front) is to replace the centipede with st augustine since much of the
front yard is shaded.

How should I go about doing this? I was told by many that you cannot
get st augustine seed in north america, only plugs and sod.

It's not just in North America, I don't believe, there isn't a really
economically viable way to harvest St. Augustine seed, from what I recall.

If I sod, do I have to rent a sod cutter and take out everything? If I
do plugs, can I just plug everywhere throughout the lawn amidst the
centipede grass?

There are various ways you could go. On the less labor-intensive side,
spray the grass with roundup, let it die (including the roots). Once it's
dead, set your mower as low as it will go, and get rid of all of the dead
stuff. Apply new seed/plugs/sod, water, and wait. The new grass will
grow, and everything will be fine. Aerating the soil probably wouldn't
hurt.

Now, if you really do feel like putting in additional labor, you could
either till the dead stuff under, or use a sod cutter to remove it. If
you till, then you have to go back and smooth and level. If you remove
with a sod cutter, you need to cart all of that away. Either way, it's a
lot of work.

steve

Old 27-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Steveo

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
[...]

That might work if he could find seed and a slice seeder, seed won't
germinate on dead centipede grass. One other caveat is the efficacy
of round-up on st Augustine, but since he's only trying to fill in
shade blighted turf that's not a big problem.

He'll need to strip it and shallow till if he's gonna sod it.

--
Mopar http://www.allpar.com/mopar.html

Old 18-03-2004, 05:51 PM
RoyDMercer

"septuagint" wrote in message

Hi, I currently have centipede in my front lawn (columbia,sc), but it
is really patchy and crappy. I put in a sprinkler system last year and
I reseeded many of the patched areas. I fertilized the areas as well,
but it really only grew in a couple places.

What I really want to do (since I have 2 big honkin' oak trees in the
front) is to replace the centipede with st augustine since much of the
front yard is shaded.

How should I go about doing this? I was told by many that you cannot
get st augustine seed in north america, only plugs and sod.

If I sod, do I have to rent a sod cutter and take out everything? If I
do plugs, can I just plug everywhere throughout the lawn amidst the
centipede grass?

Or should I just go buy some kerosene and light my yard on fire and
roast weenies?

It really depends on just how much shade you have. I don't know of any turf
grasses that will thrive in complete shade. Some lawns will do better in
partial shade than others. What you may want to consider is some type of
ground cover that thrives in complete shade for under the trees and some
landscaped trails (mulch or decorative gravel) in traffic areas.