GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fertilized, then aerated? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/57255-fertilized-then-aerated.html)

LeeAnne 30-03-2004 01:34 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

I am going to ask your forgiveness up front if I seem insane for my
question and/or what I've done. Growing up in Brooklyn, NY didn't
afford me much time to become familiar with lawncare. I have recently
purchased a home in East TN. That home came with a beautiful lawn.
Somehow I have managed in the span of 11 months to change all that
(May - Mar). The lawn suffers from cutting too low, not fertilizing,
and not controlling weeds. I have many weeds (clovers to be exact)
throughout the lawn. I recently got advice to use Scotts Fertilizer w2
weed control. I followed all the directions and applied the product.
Unfortunately I didn't check the weather report. About 16 hours after
the application it rained. It has been 9 days since the application
and I haven't noticed any change in the lawn. I read on the Scotts.com
site that it is a good idea to core aerate your lawn, so yesterday I
happened to see a neighborhood youth on a aeration campaign to raise
$$. Therefore, I allowed him to aerate my entire lawn. Now I am
concerned that aerating so soon after applying the fertilizer w/ weed
control may not have been a good idea. Should I re-apply the
fertilizer product sparingly to accomodate for the rain and aeration?
Is there anything else that I can do to see results sooner? I am
considering using a liquid spray weed kill product to deal with the
weeds more immediately. What do you think?

Any input on any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JG

James Nipper 30-03-2004 01:43 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

You should be thankful that you got rain 16 hours after fertilizing ! No
problem with that, unless you got a huge downpour of 5-10 inches overnight
which "can" leach the nutrients out of the soil. One of two inches of rain
is a blessing just after fertilizing.

Just because you don't see a change after 9 days is not a worry either. Give
it at least several more weeks.

Aeration should not be a problem either.

You DO need to :

1. Be more patient

2. Not worry quite as much

hope this helps !!

--James--

icarii 30-03-2004 05:11 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

Good job
u can use a liquid weed control anytime
do not fertilize for another 4 to 6 weeks
start cutting 2.5 to 3 inches no less
clover is hard to get rid of but remember it stays green
if the clover is just in a few areas u can use round up then topdress and
over seed

Icarii

Steve Wolfe 30-03-2004 07:42 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

I have many weeds (clovers to be exact)
throughout the lawn. I recently got advice to use Scotts Fertilizer w2
weed control. I followed all the directions and applied the product.
Unfortunately I didn't check the weather report. About 16 hours after
the application it rained. It has been 9 days since the application
and I haven't noticed any change in the lawn.

If your lawn has been neglected and not fertilized for quite some time,
usually an application of fertilizer makes a noticeable difference fairly
soon. When I moved into my house, the grass had been neglected for *years*.
My next-door neighbor's yard also looked horrible because his sprinklers had
broken and he hadn't watered for quite some time.

I helped him fix his sprinklers, then I went to Home Depot, and bought a
huge bag of cheap fertilizer, borrowed my neighbor's spreader, and spread
that bag and a couple bags of ammonium sulfate over the two lawns, greatly
in excess of the recommended "dosage". Then we watered our lawns for about
40 minutes to help the fertilizer disolve and soak into the grass.

Starting about four days later, I couldn't work in the yard without people
stopping by every ten minutes to ask how I'd made our lawns look so good.
The entire block (even those who took very good care of their lawns) wanted
to know my secret! : )

Of course, YMMV.

steve

SaM 30-03-2004 09:29 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

what does amonium sulfate do?

Sam

SaM 30-03-2004 09:29 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

Steveo 31-03-2004 02:31 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"SaM" wrote:
what does amonium sulfate do?

Sam

Add way too much Nitrogen.

Steveo 31-03-2004 02:31 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

Steveo 31-03-2004 03:01 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

Steve Wolfe 31-03-2004 04:36 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

what does amonium sulfate do?

Add way too much Nitrogen.

And make your grass nice and green.

steve

Steveo 31-03-2004 04:36 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
what does amonium sulfate do?

Add way too much Nitrogen.

And make your grass nice and green.

steve

And prone to leaf spot, dollar spot,and numerous other turf fungus.

It makes it grow so fast you can cut it every two or three days
in the spring too. Yea, great stuff.

Steve Wolfe 31-03-2004 05:19 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

And prone to leaf spot, dollar spot,and numerous other turf fungus.

It makes it grow so fast you can cut it every two or three days
in the spring too. Yea, great stuff.

Now I can see those things happening if I went out and spread the stuff
every week. But we're talking about a lawn that hadn't seen an ounce of
nitrogen (or any other care) in five or six years. It didn't hurt a thing.
It's been two years, and I haven't seen a single problem that you've been
talking about. I only have to mow mine about every 7 days in the spring,
but you might get a lot more water than we do.

steve

Steveo 31-03-2004 05:20 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
And prone to leaf spot, dollar spot,and numerous other turf fungus.

It makes it grow so fast you can cut it every two or three days
in the spring too. Yea, great stuff.

Now I can see those things happening if I went out and spread the
stuff every week. But we're talking about a lawn that hadn't seen an
ounce of nitrogen (or any other care) in five or six years. It didn't
hurt a thing. It's been two years, and I haven't seen a single problem
that you've been talking about. I only have to mow mine about every 7
days in the spring, but you might get a lot more water than we do.

steve

Why wouldn't you want to use a complete fertilizer? You're feeding
your lawn candy canes with that stuff.

Steve Wolfe 31-03-2004 07:34 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

Why wouldn't you want to use a complete fertilizer? You're feeding
your lawn candy canes with that stuff.

Candy canes, huh? Wow. I'm completely amazed. One of the most
heavily-used elements in any living organism, and you call it candy canes.

Do you happen to think that the grass will take up nitrogen in abundance,
and somehow deposit it somewhere like fat? Or do you believe that it will
somehow go ahead and build it's tissues completely out of nitrogen, leaving
out other elements? I would be very, very interested in hearing about just
why you think it's "candy canes". Finding out how plants' use of nitrogen
correlates to an animal's use of sugar would be oh-so-fascinating.

(Besides, you seem to have missed the part where I said that I cut the
ammonium sulfate into a much larger quantity of more balanced fertilizer.)

steve

icarii 31-03-2004 08:02 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

(Besides, you seem to have missed the part where I said that I cut the
ammonium sulfate into a much larger quantity of more balanced fertilizer.)

Yah yah im hip im hip

Steveo 01-04-2004 07:26 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
[...]

1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft is -all- you need. Don't
try to re-write chemical lawncare with your Nitrogen fetish.

Steve Wolfe 01-04-2004 08:19 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft is -all- you need. Don't
try to re-write chemical lawncare with your Nitrogen fetish.

Wow, one pound, and I'm set for life! Or, as so many other things, did
you forget that time plays a factor?

Perhaps you could tell us what happens to the nitrogen demand of soil
year after year when it's not receiving said application.

steve

Steve Wolfe 01-04-2004 08:19 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft is -all- you need. Don't
try to re-write chemical lawncare with your Nitrogen fetish.

I'm still waiting to hear your answers to my questions. I'm still
assuming that you're capable of talking about facts and presenting ideas,
and that flinging around words like "fetish" isn't the only defence you
have when your position is challenged. Of course, I could be wrong, but
I'm still waiting to see if you can address my points before I jump to any
conclusions.

As a recap, I'd like to hear just what your reasoning is for comparing
the uptake of nitrogen in plants to the use of sugar in animals. I'm also
waiting to hear just what you thing happens when there's more nitrogen in
the soil than the grass needs. If you want people to come around to your
way of thinking, present them with evidence and ideas.

steve

icarii 01-04-2004 08:19 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

1 Application = 1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft
Meaning this is all that is needed when your fert your lawn
20-2-20 = 5 lbs of fert per 1000 sq feet

Steveo 01-04-2004 08:19 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
[...]

I don't think anyone is going to change your mind, your lawn will
have to suffer the consequences for that to happen.

Ever hear of Nitrogen run-off contamination of ground water? It's
people like you who contribute to it, with product abuse.

http://tinyurl.com/2bno5

Over use of Nitrogen promotes surge growth and disease in turf-grass.
You can also burn your turf easily with it.

I'm trying to help people here, your recipe for disaster needs
to be pointed out.

HTH

Steveo 01-04-2004 08:19 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
1 pound of Nitrogen per 1000 sq ft is -all- you need. Don't
try to re-write chemical lawncare with your Nitrogen fetish.

Wow, one pound, and I'm set for life! Or, as so many other things, did
you forget that time plays a factor?

Perhaps you could tell us what happens to the nitrogen demand of soil
year after year when it's not receiving said application.

steve

That's per application, and not to exceed 4 to 5 lbs per growing
season, dipshit.

Steve Wolfe 01-04-2004 08:19 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

As a recap, I'd like to hear just what your reasoning is for
comparing
the uptake of nitrogen in plants to the use of sugar in animals. I'm
also waiting to hear just what you thing happens when there's more
nitrogen in the soil than the grass needs. If you want people to come
around to your way of thinking, present them with evidence and ideas.

I don't think anyone is going to change your mind,

Au contraire. I'm always willing to learn. And I'm always willing to
admit when I'm wrong. If you were to show me some data where nitrogen
demand didn't increase as time went on, I'd tell you that I was wrong. In
fact, I'm certainly willing to admit that there are better ways of going
about it than I did. I never said that it was what *everyone* should do,
only that it's why *I* did, and it worked like a charm.

Really. I've put forth some ideas. You haven't addressed them in any
way. The only thing you've done is throw out phrases like "dipshit" and
"nitrogen fetish". Can you really expect me to jump over to your line of
reasoning with nothing else?

your lawn will
have to suffer the consequences for that to happen.

Actually, my lawn's been doing jim-dandy for years now. If I'd repeated
what I talked about, it might not be, but I never have. In fact, if
anything, I fertilize less than I should.

Ever hear of Nitrogen run-off contamination of ground water? It's
people like you who contribute to it, with product abuse.

http://tinyurl.com/2bno5

See, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm asking for - data and facts.
I'm certainly aware that adding nitrogen (and a lot of other things!) to
water systems is bad. It's not just bad to get in drinking water as the
article you mentioned talks about, it's also bad to get into runoff water,
as it (especially combined with phosphates and other nutrients) will cause
large algal blooms, choking out aquatic life. Around here, where bodies
of water tend to be very small, a single big algal bloom can be
*especially* bad.

But, did my excessive fertilizer use cause any of that? Nope. To get
into the nearest aquafir used for drinking water, it would have to migrate
at least twenty miles *uphill*. And to get into the nearest runoff
system, it would have to migrate at least ten miles the other way, and it
would have to to do so during the two weeks of the year when the runoff
system actually *has* water. Outside of those two weeks, it would have to
migrate another five miles to the nearest river. In the dryness of my
area, that just doesn't happen. I could bury fifteen tons of fertilizer
in my yard, and the water systems would never see a bit of it.

Over use of Nitrogen promotes surge growth and disease in turf-grass.
You can also burn your turf easily with it.

You're right, it can. If I were doing that sort of thing regularly, I'd
expect problems. It was a one-time deal in soil that was extremely
depleted.

Steveo 02-04-2004 09:56 AM

Fertilized, then aerated?

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
You're right, it can. If I were doing that sort of thing regularly,
I'd expect problems. It was a one-time deal in soil that was extremely
depleted.

I'm trying to help people here, your recipe for disaster needs
to be pointed out.

steve

You must remember that people look here for real advice. :)

LeeAnne 06-04-2004 09:29 PM

Fertilized, then aerated?

Thanks to everyone for your input. I will try to be patient while my
yard recovers from my enthusiastic but uninformed lawncare. In the
meantime I will put your suggestions into practice and hope for the
best!

JG