Old 30-03-2004, 01:34 AM
LeeAnne

Default Fertilized, then aerated?

I am going to ask your forgiveness up front if I seem insane for my
question and/or what I've done. Growing up in Brooklyn, NY didn't
afford me much time to become familiar with lawncare. I have recently
purchased a home in East TN. That home came with a beautiful lawn.
Somehow I have managed in the span of 11 months to change all that
(May - Mar). The lawn suffers from cutting too low, not fertilizing,
and not controlling weeds. I have many weeds (clovers to be exact)
throughout the lawn. I recently got advice to use Scotts Fertilizer w2
weed control. I followed all the directions and applied the product.
Unfortunately I didn't check the weather report. About 16 hours after
the application it rained. It has been 9 days since the application
and I haven't noticed any change in the lawn. I read on the Scotts.com
site that it is a good idea to core aerate your lawn, so yesterday I
happened to see a neighborhood youth on a aeration campaign to raise
$$. Therefore, I allowed him to aerate my entire lawn. Now I am
concerned that aerating so soon after applying the fertilizer w/ weed
control may not have been a good idea. Should I re-apply the
fertilizer product sparingly to accomodate for the rain and aeration?
Is there anything else that I can do to see results sooner? I am
considering using a liquid spray weed kill product to deal with the
weeds more immediately. What do you think?

Any input on any of the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JG
Old 30-03-2004, 01:43 AM
James Nipper

You should be thankful that you got rain 16 hours after fertilizing ! No
problem with that, unless you got a huge downpour of 5-10 inches overnight
which "can" leach the nutrients out of the soil. One of two inches of rain
is a blessing just after fertilizing.

Just because you don't see a change after 9 days is not a worry either. Give
it at least several more weeks.

Aeration should not be a problem either.

You DO need to :

1. Be more patient

2. Not worry quite as much

hope this helps !!

--James--

Old 30-03-2004, 05:11 AM
icarii

Good job
u can use a liquid weed control anytime
do not fertilize for another 4 to 6 weeks
start cutting 2.5 to 3 inches no less
clover is hard to get rid of but remember it stays green
if the clover is just in a few areas u can use round up then topdress and
over seed

Icarii

Old 30-03-2004, 07:42 AM
Steve Wolfe

I have many weeds (clovers to be exact)
throughout the lawn. I recently got advice to use Scotts Fertilizer w2
weed control. I followed all the directions and applied the product.
Unfortunately I didn't check the weather report. About 16 hours after
the application it rained. It has been 9 days since the application
and I haven't noticed any change in the lawn.

If your lawn has been neglected and not fertilized for quite some time,
usually an application of fertilizer makes a noticeable difference fairly
soon. When I moved into my house, the grass had been neglected for *years*.
My next-door neighbor's yard also looked horrible because his sprinklers had
broken and he hadn't watered for quite some time.

I helped him fix his sprinklers, then I went to Home Depot, and bought a
huge bag of cheap fertilizer, borrowed my neighbor's spreader, and spread
that bag and a couple bags of ammonium sulfate over the two lawns, greatly
in excess of the recommended "dosage". Then we watered our lawns for about
40 minutes to help the fertilizer disolve and soak into the grass.

Starting about four days later, I couldn't work in the yard without people
stopping by every ten minutes to ask how I'd made our lawns look so good.
The entire block (even those who took very good care of their lawns) wanted
to know my secret! : )

Of course, YMMV.

steve

Old 30-03-2004, 09:29 PM
SaM

what does amonium sulfate do?

Sam

Old 30-03-2004, 09:29 PM
SaM

Old 31-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Steveo

"SaM" wrote:
what does amonium sulfate do?

Sam

Add way too much Nitrogen.
Old 31-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Steveo

Old 31-03-2004, 03:01 AM
Steveo

Old 31-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Steve Wolfe

what does amonium sulfate do?

Add way too much Nitrogen.

And make your grass nice and green.

steve

Old 31-03-2004, 04:36 AM
Steveo

"Steve Wolfe" wrote:
what does amonium sulfate do?

Add way too much Nitrogen.

And make your grass nice and green.

steve

And prone to leaf spot, dollar spot,and numerous other turf fungus.

It makes it grow so fast you can cut it every two or three days
in the spring too. Yea, great stuff.