Old 30-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Rob-J

Default Fertalizer question

I have a lawn which has an uneven look as it grows. It looks almost patchy.
I am thinking of putting a thin layer of top soil over the lawn and applying
seed and fertalizer. My question is, if I put seed on the lawn, could I also
put fertalizer with crabgrass preventer wirhout affecting the growth of new
grass from the seed?

Thanks

Old 31-03-2004, 02:31 AM
Steveo

"Rob-J" wrote:
I have a lawn which has an uneven look as it grows. It looks almost
patchy. I am thinking of putting a thin layer of top soil over the lawn
and applying seed and fertalizer. My question is, if I put seed on the
lawn, could I also put fertalizer with crabgrass preventer wirhout
affecting the growth of new grass from the seed?

Thanks

No!! Don't use pre-emergent crabgrass control if you're going to seed.
Someone will likely follow my post and tell you to find some tupersan, but
it's almost worthless against any real grass weed pressure.

Do your best to make you new seedlings come in thick. Make sure it gets
watered everyday for the first 3 or for weeks, be sure to use at least
8 lbs of seed for every 1000 sg ft, and use a good starter fert at the
label rate when you seed.

Old 31-03-2004, 03:05 AM
Bob

"Rob-J" wrote in message
I have a lawn which has an uneven look as it grows. It looks

almost patchy.
I am thinking of putting a thin layer of top soil over the lawn

and applying
seed and fertalizer. My question is, if I put seed on the lawn,

could I also
put fertalizer with crabgrass preventer wirhout affecting the

growth of new
grass from the seed?

Have you been fertilizing it? If not, I'd just start doing that
unless there are significant bare spots. Fertilizing will help if
it is just uneven growth as described. Seed any bare spots and
sprinkle some dirt over the seed.

Bob

Old 31-03-2004, 03:41 AM
Bob

"Rob-J" wrote in message
I have a lawn which has an uneven look as it grows. It looks

almost patchy.
I am thinking of putting a thin layer of top soil over the lawn

and applying
seed and fertalizer. My question is, if I put seed on the lawn,

could I also
put fertalizer with crabgrass preventer wirhout affecting the

growth of new
grass from the seed?

Have you been fertilizing it? If not, I'd just start doing that
unless there are significant bare spots. Fertilizing will help if
it is just uneven growth as described. Seed any bare spots and
sprinkle some dirt over the seed.

Bob

Burned up my lawn with fertalizer walterbyrd Lawns 11 29-09-2007 12:58 AM
Fertalizer question Rob-J Lawns 0 30-03-2004 11:36 PM
Fertalizer question Rob-J Lawns 0 30-03-2004 11:36 PM
Winterizing Question...Question 1 of x BenignVanilla Ponds 1 08-09-2003 06:22 PM