GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gopher Questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/66838-gopher-questions.html)

Magnusfarce 21-06-2004 09:07 PM

Gopher Questions

I'm replacing the lawn in my back yard and want to try and eliminate my
ongoing gopher problem. Is there anything I can do during the
killing/rototilling/planting process to help prevent future gopher problems?
If I wanted to place a barrier around the property, how deep would I have to
go and what material would be effective?

BTW, how can I tell if they are gophers or moles?

- Magnusfarce

RoyDMercer 23-06-2004 03:09 AM

Gopher Questions

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm replacing the lawn in my back yard and want to try and eliminate my
ongoing gopher problem. Is there anything I can do during the
killing/rototilling/planting process to help prevent future gopher

problems?
If I wanted to place a barrier around the property, how deep would I have

go and what material would be effective?

BTW, how can I tell if they are gophers or moles?

- Magnusfarce

If they are eating the roots of your garden, it is almost certainly gophers.

Here is an excellent article on the subject:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_wildlife...371239,00.html

Srgnt Bilko 27-06-2004 07:04 AM

Gopher Questions

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm replacing the lawn in my back yard and want to try and eliminate my
ongoing gopher problem. Is there anything I can do during the
killing/rototilling/planting process to help prevent future gopher

problems?
If I wanted to place a barrier around the property, how deep would I have

go and what material would be effective?

BTW, how can I tell if they are gophers or moles?

- Magnusfarce

Moles in our area tunnel near the surface and leave raised hills wherever
they go. They like bugs. Get rid of the bugs and the mole will go to your
neighbors.

We have woodchucks, which are larger. The only way to get rid of them is
either by hav-a-heart trap or shotgun.