Old 12-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Jim Laumann

Default Clutch removal on Ryan string trimmer?

Hi

I have a older Ryan Model 263 string trimmer that needs some work. I
was able to get the parts I need, but am stumped as to the
dis-assembly of the clutch, which is a pre-requisite to getting in
further..

I have the shaft and handle/throttle mechanism removed, and the recoil
starter loose. But the clutch is in the way to getting the recoil off.
I have a exploded parts diagram to work from - it shows what looks to
be slotted screw inside the shaft of the clutch.

I've put a screw driver in there, and can feel it engage something
slotted, but turning one was engages some sort of rachet mechanism in
the recoil starter, turn the other way and the whole clutch spins,
even if I try to hold it.

In the owners manual, there are no instructions as to how to work on
the recoil starter - for that you are supposed to take it to a dealer,
and Ryan dealers are pretty scarce.

I've shot WD-40 in to the shaft opening, in hopes it might loosen
things up - so far - no go.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Jim