GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   John Deere LT160 Good Buy? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/81907-john-deere-lt160-good-buy.html)

Marcus_go 18-08-2004 02:45 AM

John Deere LT160 Good Buy?

As some of you may have read my Craftsman tractor is getting old and ready
to replace. After lots of research I've decided on a new Deere LT160. The
tractor has a 16hp Kohler, 42inch deck and I will order a trailer and the
rear baggers. The cost with tax come to $4700cdn, a lot more than the 100
series. I do know that the LT series will last longer that my current
tractor as well as a 100 series. Is this tractor decent for cutting the
lawn 2.5 hours a week during the spring/summer and early fall? I have 2.5
acres with steep hills and some obstacles, will the single cylinder 16
horse engine be capable for the job? How even of a cut does the LT do?
Thanks for your help.

Larry 18-08-2004 03:09 AM

"Marcus_go" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
As some of you may have read my Craftsman tractor is getting old and ready
to replace. After lots of research I've decided on a new Deere LT160. The
tractor has a 16hp Kohler, 42inch deck and I will order a trailer and the
rear baggers. The cost with tax come to $4700cdn, a lot more than the 100
series. I do know that the LT series will last longer that my current
tractor as well as a 100 series. Is this tractor decent for cutting the
lawn 2.5 hours a week during the spring/summer and early fall? I have 2.5
acres with steep hills and some obstacles, will the single cylinder 16
horse engine be capable for the job? How even of a cut does the LT do?
Thanks for your help.

To tackle those "steep hills", I'd make sure it's equipped with a pressure
lubrication system. If it is, I'd say that would tackle your tasks with
ease. I really love my JD!

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Marcus_go 18-08-2004 05:20 AM

Yes the LT160 Does have pressure lubrication system. What does that mean?
What JD model do you have?

Larry 18-08-2004 05:44 AM

"Marcus_go" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
Yes the LT160 Does have pressure lubrication system. What does that mean?
What JD model do you have?

I've got a little SRX rear engine rider (10 hp Kawasaki I think). Mine uses
a 'splash' oiling system like most lawn mowers. Your pressure lube system is
like a car engine and is FAR more reliable. When cutting on those hills, I
run the risk of burning a bearing where you will have plenty oil on all
moving parts.