Old 18-08-2004, 02:45 AM
Marcus_go

Default John Deere LT160 Good Buy?

As some of you may have read my Craftsman tractor is getting old and ready
to replace. After lots of research I've decided on a new Deere LT160. The
tractor has a 16hp Kohler, 42inch deck and I will order a trailer and the
rear baggers. The cost with tax come to $4700cdn, a lot more than the 100
series. I do know that the LT series will last longer that my current
tractor as well as a 100 series. Is this tractor decent for cutting the
lawn 2.5 hours a week during the spring/summer and early fall? I have 2.5
acres with steep hills and some obstacles, will the single cylinder 16
horse engine be capable for the job? How even of a cut does the LT do?
Thanks for your help.

Old 18-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Larry

"Marcus_go" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
As some of you may have read my Craftsman tractor is getting old and ready
to replace. After lots of research I've decided on a new Deere LT160. The
tractor has a 16hp Kohler, 42inch deck and I will order a trailer and the
rear baggers. The cost with tax come to $4700cdn, a lot more than the 100
series. I do know that the LT series will last longer that my current
tractor as well as a 100 series. Is this tractor decent for cutting the
lawn 2.5 hours a week during the spring/summer and early fall? I have 2.5
acres with steep hills and some obstacles, will the single cylinder 16
horse engine be capable for the job? How even of a cut does the LT do?
Thanks for your help.

To tackle those "steep hills", I'd make sure it's equipped with a pressure
lubrication system. If it is, I'd say that would tackle your tasks with
ease. I really love my JD!

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Old 18-08-2004, 05:20 AM
Marcus_go

Yes the LT160 Does have pressure lubrication system. What does that mean?
What JD model do you have?

Old 18-08-2004, 05:44 AM
Larry

"Marcus_go" wrote in message
lkaboutgardening.com...
Yes the LT160 Does have pressure lubrication system. What does that mean?
What JD model do you have?

I've got a little SRX rear engine rider (10 hp Kawasaki I think). Mine uses
a 'splash' oiling system like most lawn mowers. Your pressure lube system is
like a car engine and is FAR more reliable. When cutting on those hills, I
run the risk of burning a bearing where you will have plenty oil on all
moving parts.