Old 09-09-2004, 04:24 AM
DJ

Anonymous
I believe you are right about the irrigation. Most of my family live in SC
and when my sister lived at Lake Bowen they had to pump water from the lake
to irrigate their yard. Here, I do the watering and believe me I hear it
from my hubby about how much the Water bill is. Ha.
Donna

"Anonymous" wrote in message
Ooops, meant the above reply for Larry the Cable Guy.

Anonymous wrote:

But you don't live in Louisianan. It's considerably more tropical
(higher heat, humidity and longer summer) in LA than in SC. SC is
firmly in the geographical zone that Fescue grows in. LA is not. You
probably could keep a fescue lawn going in LA but it would require
irrigation in the dry season and yearly over seeding. In other words it
would be a lot of trouble. You would be basically trying to make a
grass grow where it was not intended to. I have a fescue lawn in
northern Alabama and we are frankly borderline for this type grass (and
yes, I go have an in ground irrigation system, without which I would
lose at least 50% of my fescue in July and August. It all depends where
you live as to what grass will do well in your area.

LARRY THE CABLE GUY wrote:

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 22:03:40 GMT, Anonymous wrote:

Neither me or the hundred homes on my block have irrigation systems
and fescue is all over S.C.

DJ wrote:

Hi Diane
It sure does get extremely hot here.It was low 90's today. It
just seems
like I no sooner get one area looking better than another area dies.

highly believe in mulching. Never did like a regular mower. I'm not
sure
what zoysia is. I had gone to the neighborhood seed and feed store
and they
only had 2 types. Bermuda and Centipede. I about fell on the floor
when he
told me that the Centipede was $32.00 a lb. I jokingly told him that

didn't want to go out and have to get a loan just to have a pretty
yard.
Must be some good stuff, I guess. I
I see alot of St. Augustine grass. Our yard has lots of all kinds of
grass/weeds. My husband said that if I wanted a pretty yard, that I
would
have to do the work. He's happy if the yard is just mowed. He said
do what I
wanted with the yard as long as it's free. I even dug all along our
drive to
help the drainage whenever we get downpours, and used the grass
from that
area to patch the yard. I had 3 + wheelbarrows full. Lots of work
but worth
it when it starts filling in. I even dug out areas and placed

stepping
stones to help with excessive wear.
Any ideas? Thanks for your reply.
Donna

"Diane James" wrote in message

I dunno. It gets kinda hot in southern Louisiana, doesn't it? And
humid, too? That's a lot for ryegrass or fescue to handle, what

with
brown patch, gray leaf spot and all that stuff that just loves heat
and
humidity. I would think that there would be an awful lot of
bermudagrass in your area, and maybe some zoysia. What do the other
people in the neighborhood have?

DJ wrote:

Hi
I've used the rye grass. It doesn't last long at all. How is the

fescue

for durability? That's the kind my daughter in SC told me to get.
I'll

be

going this weekend to buy the seed.
Thanks, Donna

"Eurocat" wrote in message

DJ wrote:

Hi,
Could you remind me when would be the best time to sow seed in

southern

Louisiana? Would it be in September (now) as in other areas of

the

states?

Thanks,
Donna

What kind of seed are you sowing? Ryegrass or fescue is good now.
Seeded types of bermudagrass do better in May or June.