GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Does anyone know of an easy way to pick up acorns? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/83733-does-anyone-know-easy-way-pick-up-acorns.html)

[email protected] 17-09-2004 09:01 PM

Does anyone know of an easy way to pick up acorns?

We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

DaveL 18-09-2004 04:43 AM

Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

Srgnt Billko 18-09-2004 05:09 AM

"DaveL" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question. You
get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with
squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and
they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget -
and their appetite is verocious.
A lawn sweeper might work also.

Steveo 18-09-2004 10:52 AM

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"DaveL" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we
had a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up
acorns easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question.
You get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with
squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and
they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget
- and their appetite is verocious.

Bring in raccoons to control your grub population, skunks work too.

A lawn sweeper might work also.

Too practical.

Merle O'Broham 19-09-2004 12:09 AM

Steveo wrote in message ...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"DaveL" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we
had a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up
acorns easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question.
You get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with
squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and
they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget
- and their appetite is verocious.

Bring in raccoons to control your grub population, skunks work too.

A lawn sweeper might work also.

Too practical.

Bad news - there is no easy way. I've got a bunch of mature oaks on my
property and get several garbage bags of acorns at just about this
time. If the grass is short and dry I use the power blower to round
'em up into piles and pick them up with broom dust pans into bags.
Raking is a pain, but actually quite good for the lawn (power raking).
The neighborhood kid thing is a good idea if you've got some good
strong ones that don't wince at a little effort. Good luck.

Phil 21-09-2004 03:49 AM

A few year ago I was in a hardware store and noticed a weird gadget on a
broom handle, it consisted of a steel wire about the thickness of a
coathanger. It started of as a bell shaped coil and ended up as a spiral at
the bottom, the spiral was jabbed at pecans too pick them up, the spiral
coil sprung back and allowed the pecans to enter into the bell part. I never
saw or heard of one being used in real life but the store demo made it look
easy. (don't have a pecan tree so didn't buy one)
om...

Eric 21-09-2004 05:57 AM

wrote:

We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Check with your local golf course. Lots of times they know how to do the
strangest of lawn care related chores.
But, my guess is to use a lawn sweeper.
Eric