Old 17-09-2004, 09:01 PM

Default Does anyone know of an easy way to pick up acorns?

We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Old 18-09-2004, 04:43 AM
DaveL

Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.
Old 18-09-2004, 05:09 AM
Srgnt Billko

"DaveL" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we had
a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up acorns
easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question. You
get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with
squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and
they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget -
and their appetite is verocious.
A lawn sweeper might work also.

Old 18-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"DaveL" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we
had a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up
acorns easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question.
You get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with
squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and
they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget
- and their appetite is verocious.

Bring in raccoons to control your grub population, skunks work too.

A lawn sweeper might work also.

Too practical.

Old 19-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Merle O'Broham

Steveo wrote in message ...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"DaveL" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

wrote in message
om...
We purchased a house last summer and realized in the fall that we
had a huge amount of acorns. Does anyone know how to pick up
acorns easily. Raking took forever last year. Any advice would be
appreciated.

Squirrels

I was going to say that but restrained myself....

How about neighborhood kids? Pay them $1.00 a pound or some such.

What's restraint ? I don't think squirrels are out of the question.
You get a $30 hav-a-hart trap - go to a local place overrun with with
squirrels - do them a favor and bring a few home. Feed them a little and
they'll stick around. Once they find the nut tree they will never forget
- and their appetite is verocious.

Bring in raccoons to control your grub population, skunks work too.

A lawn sweeper might work also.

Too practical.

Bad news - there is no easy way. I've got a bunch of mature oaks on my
property and get several garbage bags of acorns at just about this
time. If the grass is short and dry I use the power blower to round
'em up into piles and pick them up with broom dust pans into bags.
Raking is a pain, but actually quite good for the lawn (power raking).
The neighborhood kid thing is a good idea if you've got some good
strong ones that don't wince at a little effort. Good luck.
Old 21-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Phil

A few year ago I was in a hardware store and noticed a weird gadget on a
broom handle, it consisted of a steel wire about the thickness of a
coathanger. It started of as a bell shaped coil and ended up as a spiral at
the bottom, the spiral was jabbed at pecans too pick them up, the spiral
coil sprung back and allowed the pecans to enter into the bell part. I never
saw or heard of one being used in real life but the store demo made it look
easy. (don't have a pecan tree so didn't buy one)
om...