Old 26-09-2004, 01:51 AM
JD

Default Bermuda grasses hybreds vs common

My back yard is 95% common bermuda and 5% fesue, so it looks like the
bermuda has won and after 10 years of trying to establish fescue I am giving
up on Fescue. My neighbor has tiffway bermuda which is much nicer than the
common variety.
What is the opinion if I would plant some of the tiffway, which would win?
The Tiffway or the common?
Thanks
JD
Southeastern VA

Old 26-09-2004, 04:42 AM
Cathy Lewis

JD wrote:
My back yard is 95% common bermuda and 5% fesue, so it looks like the
bermuda has won and after 10 years of trying to establish fescue I am giving
up on Fescue. My neighbor has tiffway bermuda which is much nicer than the
common variety.
What is the opinion if I would plant some of the tiffway, which would win?
The Tiffway or the common?
Thanks
JD
Southeastern VA

They would co-mingle and you would end up with patches of each. When
hybrid bermudas are mixed with common I have never seen either one
predominate to much extent.

Old 01-10-2004, 03:09 AM
JD

What do you think would happen if I tried to eradicate the common before
planting tiffway sod?
JD

Old 02-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Chowder Pup

If you are in SE Virginia it is already too late in the year to
eliminate common bermuda. It needs to be sprayed with Roundup at least
two, and preferably three, times beginning in late August to early
September. Common bermuda is a bitch to eliminate.

And Tifway 419 is probably not your best choice. Since it was
developed, Tifway has mutated into so many different varieties that you
won't really know what you are getting. If a sod grower sells you
Tifway in 1990, and again in 2001, the grass out of the same field can
be very different.

If you want a really good bermuda, get some TifSport from United Turf in
Powell's Point, NC. They are just down Rt. 168 from Chesapeake. Call
800-421-7649 and ask for A.B. Tell him Dale sent you.

Old 03-10-2004, 06:31 PM
JD

Thanks for the response. I know just where United Turf is. I live in Great
Bridge. I still have some work to do in the back yard, (building a brick
patio), so I am thinking about doing this next spring/summer. I thought I
could spray Round up when the bermuda is actively growing, like June/July. I
have been trying to eliminate the common bermuda for the 10 years we have
lived here. I would also have someone come in and use a sod cutter or Bobcat
to take all the sod out of the yard. Then bring in the hybred bermuda. The
area isn't really that big.
Are there other Bermudas that would work as well. I only know Tiffway.
Thanks,
JD - Chesapeake, VA

Old 04-10-2004, 01:29 AM
Nathan Fine

JD wrote:

Are there other Bermudas that would work as well. I only know Tiffway.
Thanks,
JD - Chesapeake, VA

Tifway, properly known as Tifway 419, is one of a whole series of hybrid
bermudas bred by Earl Eisner at the Georgia Crop Improvement Experiment
Station in Tifton, Georgia. Others include TifEagle, TifDwarf, TifGreen
and TifSport (originally bred as T-10).

Tifway 419 is probably the most widely grown of these varieties, but is
the most subject to genetic variation through mutation. The most recent
introduction is TifSport (T-10). This is the most genetically stable of
the Tifton varieties, and the TifSport Growers Association is extremely
strict about how it is grown. Every field, for example must be killed,
fumigated and replanted from foundation stock every two years. TifSport
is the variety of bermuda that the Redskins play on in FedEx Stadium.

Probably the best variety of hybrid bermuda available today is Patriot,
a joint release by Kansas State and Oklahoma State, with Dennis Martin
being the primary breeder. There is only one grower on the east coast
and that is Oakwood Sod Farm in Delmar, MD, http://www.oakwoodsod.com

a brief description of Patriot can be found at
http://home.okstate.edu/Okstate/dasn...sf/toc/martin2

grasses antana Gardening 2 08-04-2011 08:16 PM
How common is Common Bistort? PeterGreenMan United Kingdom 10 25-05-2009 08:51 PM
seeding Colorado native grasses Fred Clare Gardening 2 29-07-2004 10:05 PM
Ornamental Grasses Dave Hunt United Kingdom 3 07-04-2003 08:44 PM
Trimming back ornamental grasses: Dallas Blue and another Todd W. Roat Gardening 1 30-01-2003 02:16 PM