Old 23-10-2004, 03:21 PM
W.D.

Default thanks (was: I've killed my lawn - what's next?)

Hey all,
Thanks a bunch to all who provided suggestions on my previous post. I
basically dethatched, left most of the dead grass there as Chet suggested,
put down some lime & fertilizer, seeded with a slice-seeder (rye grass), and
covered with straw. It's a week later and I actually have a green lawn!

About how long should I wait befo

1. applying more starter fertilizer?
2. mowing (some of the seedlings are already 3-4 inches)?

Anything else I need to do at this point other than keep the ground moist?
Again, thanks to all who helped!

W.D.

Old 26-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Chet Hayes

"W.D." wdanis at NO SPAM yahoo dot com wrote in message ...
Hey all,
Thanks a bunch to all who provided suggestions on my previous post. I
basically dethatched, left most of the dead grass there as Chet suggested,
put down some lime & fertilizer, seeded with a slice-seeder (rye grass), and
covered with straw. It's a week later and I actually have a green lawn!

About how long should I wait befo

1. applying more starter fertilizer?
2. mowing (some of the seedlings are already 3-4 inches)?

Anything else I need to do at this point other than keep the ground moist?
Again, thanks to all who helped!

W.D.

I'd mow it when it gets to 4 inchs, cutting it back to 3. Removing
part of the blade sends a message to the grass to grow faster and
spread out by removing a hormone that grows in the blades. At about
4 weeks, I'd follow up with either a std or fall type fertilizer, as
by then most of the nitrogen from the starter fertilizer will be gone.