Old 27-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Hotoy Fukaka

Default Lawn problems

Hello...any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I live in New England and this summer (June) I had new sod put down
around my house. I watered it every morning and every evening. I did
very well all summer - green and plush. This fall, however, I am
seeing a much different story. I am deveoping broad leafed weeds and
this other ugly development. I have certain areas where the grass
seems to have rust spots on the blades. It is spreading quickly. It
seems to come off on my shoes and the lawn mower. It is almost like
it is sray painted on the lawn.

Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it and bring my lawn back
to where it was previously???

Thanks
Old 27-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Doug G

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/lawntalk/lawntalk28.html
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/county/cass...blems.htm#rust
http://extension.missouri.edu/extens...le.asp?id=1107
Old 28-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Peter H

Hotoy Fukaka wrote:
Hello...any help you all can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I live in New England and this summer (June) I had new sod put down
around my house. I watered it every morning and every evening. I did
very well all summer - green and plush. This fall, however, I am
seeing a much different story. I am deveoping broad leafed weeds and
this other ugly development. I have certain areas where the grass
seems to have rust spots on the blades. It is spreading quickly. It
seems to come off on my shoes and the lawn mower. It is almost like
it is sray painted on the lawn.

Any idea what this is and how to get rid of it and bring my lawn back
to where it was previously???

Thanks

That "rust-like" disease is called rust. It's not a serious problem and
usually gets going when the weather conditions are right and the grass
is not growing quickly enough to outgrow the disease.

Peter H
Old 28-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Chet Hayes

Peter H wrote in message ...
Hotoy Fukaka wrote:
[...]

Most weeds should be diminishing by now, but if you have a significant
problem and types that will continue to grow, then apply broadleaf
weed control. If you haven't fertilized, I'd use a weed/feed product.
You should have fertilized in early sept and again about now. Stop
watering it twice a day. That was appropriate when the sod was put
down in June and during the hot weather. By now you should be
watering about twice a week if it hasn't rained. Excess water
promotes disease and fungus and has killed more lawns than not
watering enough. I'd also test the PH and adjust if necessary.

Also, I'd call the company that put the sod down and ask them to come
look and give you an opinion.
Old 30-10-2004, 06:50 AM
Victor A. Garcia

Elemental Mr. Watson, the Sox won the World Series, so Hell is freezing all
over New England.

Two years from now it will be OK, same thing happened to us in Tampa when
the Bucs won the Superbowl.

om...