GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gears or Hydrostat ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/96419-gears-hydrostat.html)

Iowa883 24-06-2005 10:54 PM

Gears or Hydrostat ?

I was wonderng what you all thought about a riding mower with gears versus
hydrostats ? Is there any advantage to the old fashion gears ? I am looking
at the maint. aspect .
Plus and minus of each would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Iowa883

puddles 25-06-2005 12:45 AM

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I was wondering what you all thought about a riding mower with gears

versus
hydrostats ? Is there any advantage to the old fashion gears ? I am

looking
at the maintenance. aspect .
Plus and minus of each would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Iowa883

Gears really limit your ability to vary your speed. To speed up and slow
down you've got to CONSTANTLY work the throttle. Lots of wear on the motor
and drive train.

Variable drive allows a single lever to control your speed WITHOUT altering
the motor RPM. The governor runs the motor at one speed REGARDLESS of load.
Minimal wear on the motor and drive train.

Puddles

[email protected] 25-06-2005 02:19 AM

the hydros in the cheeper tractors have been very problematic,. in
that respect gears would be better.but the hydro is easier to operate.
lucas

willshak 25-06-2005 02:09 PM

On 6/24/2005 9:19 PM US(ET), took fingers to keys, and
typed the following:

the hydros in the cheeper tractors have been very problematic,. in
that respect gears would be better.but the hydro is easier to operate.
lucas

I haven't had any problems with the hydro in my Murray built garden
tractor and it has been in use for 10 years in all seasons, mowing and
blowing, here in the NE USA.

--
Bill

Stanley 27-06-2005 02:30 AM

Had the 6 gears, got a new hydro..Just Luv it...Keep your hand on the
shifter, no throttle nor brake neeed..Speed up anytine without stopping to
change gears

Just LUV it!