Old 24-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Iowa883

Default Gears or Hydrostat ?

I was wonderng what you all thought about a riding mower with gears versus
hydrostats ? Is there any advantage to the old fashion gears ? I am looking
at the maint. aspect .
Plus and minus of each would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Iowa883

Old 25-06-2005, 12:45 AM
puddles

"Iowa883" wrote in message
I was wondering what you all thought about a riding mower with gears

versus
hydrostats ? Is there any advantage to the old fashion gears ? I am

looking
at the maintenance. aspect .
Plus and minus of each would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Iowa883

Gears really limit your ability to vary your speed. To speed up and slow
down you've got to CONSTANTLY work the throttle. Lots of wear on the motor
and drive train.

Variable drive allows a single lever to control your speed WITHOUT altering
the motor RPM. The governor runs the motor at one speed REGARDLESS of load.
Minimal wear on the motor and drive train.

Puddles

Old 25-06-2005, 02:19 AM

the hydros in the cheeper tractors have been very problematic,. in
that respect gears would be better.but the hydro is easier to operate.
lucas

Old 27-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Stanley

Had the 6 gears, got a new hydro..Just Luv it...Keep your hand on the
shifter, no throttle nor brake neeed..Speed up anytine without stopping to
change gears

Just LUV it!