GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Is there a best time of day to water the lawn? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/lawns/97267-there-best-time-day-water-lawn.html)

Tom Jaszewski 16-07-2005 08:05 PM

On 16 Jul 2005 11:03:40 -0700, wrote:

"Go eat something you're getting grumpy. Any turf manager will set you
straight. NJ is not the center of the universe and you citations are
loaded with holes!! "

You know, you really are quite a moron. I specifically provided you
with links to 3 reputable sources in Arizona that all indicated
watering a lawn at night was OK in Arizona. ARIZONA, got that? Last
time I checked, that was part of the desert southwest, not NJ, so stop
the NJ BS. The very area where you claimed night watering was
completely unacceptable and that I was wrong. Two respected university
agricultural services and a major turf grass producer had advice that
is consistent with mine. And Steveo, who is a turf grass
professional, told you earlier in this thread that he does all his
watering at night in Ohio and has no problems.

Yeah us dumb amateurs with average reading skills....

But apparently you
think you know more than all of us, yet you're incapable of
demonstrating that to anyone here, with responses like "NJ is not the
center of the universe" and "your citations are loaded with holes."

Come on now stutter it out.....wr wr wr wr WRONG!

http://www.vbmg.org/fescue.htm
Near the center of your limited universe....

Deep Watering - Important. No night watering (encourages fungus)

July/August
Deep Watering - If needed. NO night watering. Early morning is best.

https://www.pacificearth.com/per_doc...mid6_2.html#Q3

A major turf producer...

Q: When does my lawn need the most water?
A: The most critical time for good watering practices is during the
warmer months. In California, this season typically starts in May and
continues through October. During these months, most areas of
California receive little or no rain. Warmer temperatures during this
time of the year will stress your lawn. Remember that a schedule of
deep and infrequent early morning water is best!

http://www.igin.com/Landscaping/lans...The%20Bud.html
Cultural controls used to fight brown patch include: the avoidance of
high nitrogen applications; watering infrequently, but deeply in the
morning while avoiding late-evening and night watering;

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/fa...me%20Lawn2.asp
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/dp_hfrr/ext...s/dllrspot.htm
Avoid night watering or other irrigation practices which allow the
leaves to remain wet for long periods.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/prints/brownpatch.html
Do not water in the late afternoon or early evening. Night watering is
not recommended in hot, humid weather. Avoid frequent light
sprinklings. Brown patch is most severe in bentgrass, perennial
ryegrass, and tall fescue lawns.

Tom Jaszewski 16-07-2005 08:10 PM

On 16 Jul 2005 11:03:40 -0700, wrote:

respected university
agricultural services

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/TRA...S/leafwet.html

Watering Turfgrass and Disease Potential:
Leaf Wetness
Curtis E. Swift, Ph.D.
Colorado State University
Cooperative Extension
Tri River Area

Introduction:
Most fungal foliar disease pathogens require specific leaf surface
conditions for their spores to germinate; favorable temperature and a
film of water on the plant surface (or a high relative humidity) are
required. These conditions must last sufficiently long enough for the
pathogen to penetrate the plant, otherwise the germinated spore dries
out and dies (Agrios, 1988. p. 45). The presence of dew on the leaf
surface and extending this natural period of leaf wetness results in
increased fungal growth (Smiley, et al. 1993, p. 78) and the presence
of foliar diseases (Leslie, 1994, p. 389).

Dew on turf consists of condensation from the atmosphere (~75%) as
well as guttation/exudation fluids from the leaves (~25%) (Williams et
al., 1998). The presence of sugars, starches and amino acids in the
guttation fluids exuded from the plant provides an energy source for
the invasion of the plant by the pathogen.

Bacterial diseases increase in severity in direct relationship to the
length of time the leaves are wet (Sirjusingh, et al. 1996; Zehr et
al. 1996). Infection of turf by bacterial pathogens also increases
under shade conditions due to the increase in humidity within the turf
canopy and the increase in the length of time the leaves remain wet
(Giesler et al., 2000). Rusts (Puccinia spp.), powdery mildew
(Erysiphe graminis DC.) and leaf spot fungi (Bipolaris and Drechsler
spp.) also are more severe in heavily shaded grasses than in areas
with full sun exposure (Beard, 1965; Smiley et al., 1993). Beard
estimated that 20 to 25% of all turfgrass is shaded to some degree by
trees, shrubs, or buildings (Beard, 1973).

With fungal diseases, moisture on the foliage determines the
production of spores and their survival. Gross et al., report the
severity of brown patch (Rhizoctonia solani) increases as the length
of leaf wetness increases above 9 hours. The longer the leaf surface
is wet, the greater the risk of infection and the greater the number
of infections per leaf. Fidanza et al., report minimal infection of
this disease occurs when the duration of leaf wetness is below 6 hours
with severe infections occuring when the length of leaf wetness
increases to 8 to 10 hours. Irrigation in the afternoon is directly
associated with an increase in infection, especially when warm day
temperatures are followed by cool night temperatures (Dickson. 1930).
Once the optimum temperature is reached gray leaf spot of perennial
ryegrass and tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea Shrebl) caused by
Pyricularia grisea (Cooke) Sacc. increases in severity with an
increase in the length of leaf wetness (Uddin et al. 1997; Moss &
Trevathan, 1987; Williams et al, 2001).

Even patch diseases have been reported to be more severe with
prolonged periods of leaf wetness (Fidanza, et al. 1996; Giesler, et
al., 1996) The take-all patch organism (Gaeumannomyces graminis) is
particularly sensitive to moisture fluctuations and high moisture
levels in the surface layer of soil must be maintained for the
infection of the grass plant to occur (Clarke, et al.). Necrotic ring
spot has also been shown to increase in severity with excessive
moisture and frequent irrigations (Chastagner, 1985; Smiley, 1980).
The powdery mildew fungi are an exception as they require high
humidity without the film of moisture on the leaf surface for
germination of spores and infection to occur.

While longer periods of leaf wetness are expected to occur in
irrigated vs. non-irrigated turf regardless of mowing height (Williams
et al., 2001), mowing height has an impact on the humidity within the
turf canopy. Higher cutting heights result in increased levels of
humidity that last for a longer period of time. This can result in a
more suitable environment for infection by pathogens (Giesler et al.,
2000). In addition, the amount of water and the timing of its
application can prevent or contribute to disease development (Leslie,
1994, p. 388).

Turf is not the only plant type where the length of leaf wetness
influences the infection rate. Gray leaf spot of maize caused by
Cercospora zeae-maydis, a major foliar disease is known to increase in
severity as leaf wetness increases (Bhatia and Munkvold, 2002). Even
apple scab due to Venturia inaequalis, (Harman et al., 1999), and the
infection of flax due to Alternaria linicola (Vloutogloue et al.,
1999) increase with the length of leaf wetness.

Specifics:
Ascochyta leaf blight control includes irrigating grass early in the
morning hours when dew is already present (Smiley, et al. 1993, p.
11). This disease compendium (p. 14) also mentions that dollar spot
occurs when dew is present by the growth of the fungal mycelium. This
mycelium requires a period of leaf wetness for the cobwebby structure
to develop. Watering early in the morning as previously mentioned
would dilute the nutritional benefits of the dew thereby reducing
dollar spot problems.

Control for the "Helminthosporium-type" diseases (melting-out and leaf
spot) include avoiding frequent short irrigations, especially in the
evening (Smiley, et al., 1993. p. 40). Extended periods of leaf
wetness are reported to be required for Curvularia, one of the
"Helminthosporiums" (Brown, et al. 1972) and the severity of both the
leaf blighting and crown rot phases of `Dreschlera' caused diseases
are favored by extended periods of leaf wetness (Couch, 1995, p. 106).

Recommendations:
Practices should be followed that keep the leaf wetness less than
twelve (12) hours (Couch, 1995, p. 252). Twelve (12) or more hours of
moist foliage can trigger a major disease outbreak. The shorter the
time the grass is wet, the less the disease problem (Leslie, 1994, p.
389).

The infection of a plant by a fungal pathogen requires spore
germination and development before tissue penetration can occur. The
requirement of leaf wetness for these processes to occur in part
explains the reason why leaf-spot is more serious in lawns on the
north side of a building or in low areas where the turf remains moist
for extended periods of time (does not dry out). The spores of some
fungal organisms germinate producing a motile spore that must swim in
a film of water before infection can occur (Agrios, 1988. p. 44).

Tom Jaszewski 16-07-2005 08:41 PM

On 16 Jul 2005 11:03:40 -0700, wrote:

And Steveo, who is a turf grass
professional, told you earlier in this thread that he does all his
watering at night in Ohio and has no problems.

Actually he wrote "I do most of my watering at night, as in 2 am till
6 am."

[email protected] 16-07-2005 09:51 PM

"Recommendations:
Practices should be followed that keep the leaf wetness less than
twelve (12) hours (Couch, 1995, p. 252). Twelve (12) or more hours of
moist foliage can trigger a major disease outbreak. The shorter the
time the grass is wet, the less the disease problem (Leslie, 1994, p.
389). "

Thanks for adding another post to the list that agree with my position.
Here's my original post that you had such a vitriolic disagreement
with and said I didn't know what I was talking about:

"I agree. Lots of people say not to water at night, as wet grass
promtoes disease and fungus. However, I think this is mostly nonsense.

AFter all, it rains at night doesn't it? I think you could safely
water at night, as long as it's like every 4-7 days and giving it about

an inch. I think the night watering problems come from people who are
watering it every night, and with only enough water to get it wet.
That is wrong, wheneve you do it.

I do mine exactly as Warren suggest, having it end around dawn or
shortly after. That minimizes evaporation and the time the lawn is
wet. "

If you do what I suggested, the lawn will be watered at night, ending
at 6 or 7AM, and be wet for less than 12 hours, exactly what this
reference recommends. In fact, your reference says watering in the
AFTERNOON increases the problem with fungus! So what the hell are you
complaining about? Oh, I remember, that NJ is not the center of the
universe!

Tom Jaszewski 17-07-2005 03:03 PM

On 16 Jul 2005 13:51:29 -0700, wrote:

I think the night watering problems come from people who are
watering it every night, and with only enough water to get it wet.
That is wrong, wheneve you do it.

You THINK but don't know! Pretty pointless to try to get any logic
or understanding beyond your narrow view, that's obvious...

End of exercise in futility for me....
Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets. To plant a pine, one need only own a shovel.
-- Aldo Leopold

Peggy O'Grady 17-07-2005 08:37 PM

It's best to water before 7:00 a.m or after 7:00 p.m. Make sure you water
deeply. That is more important than the time of day you water.
"Joey Goldstein" wrote in message

Joey Goldstein
http://www.joeygoldstein.com
joegold AT sympatico DOT ca

wkearney99 18-07-2005 03:54 PM

So, you can't over water in the daytime? Overwatering and when you
water are two very different things.

Of course overwatering is possible. Again, in the context of overall
"simple advice" to inexperienced homeowners it's not unreasonable to make
the blanket statement of avoiding night watering. That's entirely
independent of overwatering or other ways of doing it wrong. Your all
worked up about it for some reason. Let it go.