Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Joey Goldstein

Default Is there a best time of day to water the lawn?

--
Joey Goldstein
http://www.joeygoldstein.com
Old 11-07-2005, 09:52 PM
James

Just before daylight, so that it has time to dry out before night time, and
develop fungus, etc.

--James--

Old 11-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Warren

Ending just before dawn.

Why? If you water during the day, more water is lost to evaporation before
it even hits the grass. If you water after sunset, some moisture remains on
the blades for too long, and you could encourage fungal problems.

That leaves just before dawn. Less water evaporates as part of the
sprinkling process, and water that makes it to the blades, but doesn't make
it to the soil can evaporate quickly, and not provide a place for fungus to
multiply.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Have an outdoor project? Get a Black & Decker power tool::
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/

Old 12-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

My nextdoor neighbor, with the lushest lawn in town, waters from
2am-6am. He says he uses 9500 gallons each watering!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 PM

"Ending just before dawn.

Why? If you water during the day, more water is lost to evaporation
before
it even hits the grass. If you water after sunset, some moisture
remains on
the blades for too long, and you could encourage fungal problems.

That leaves just before dawn. Less water evaporates as part of the
sprinkling process, and water that makes it to the blades, but doesn't
make
it to the soil can evaporate quickly, and not provide a place for
fungus to
multiply. '"

I agree. Lots of people say not to water at night, as wet grass
promtoes disease and fungus. However, I think this is mostly nonsense.
AFter all, it rains at night doesn't it? I think you could safely
water at night, as long as it's like every 4-7 days and giving it about
an inch. I think the night watering problems come from people who are
watering it every night, and with only enough water to get it wet.
That is wrong, wheneve you do it.

I do mine exactly as Warren suggest, having it end around dawn or
shortly after. That minimizes evaporation and the time the lawn is
wet.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Joey Goldstein

Hah. Thanks.
I'm a musician so waking up that early (sometimes before I've even gone
to bed!) is not an option. g

I had thought that maybe watering at night was good because there is
less evaporation but hadn't considered the fungus.

Thanks to all.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Warren

Joey Goldstein wrote:
Hah. Thanks.
I'm a musician so waking up that early (sometimes before I've even gone
to bed!) is not an option. g

So get a timer.

All my hoses, sprinklers, nozzles, etc. have quick disconnects on them. I'll
go out around dinner time, and set the sprinkler to hit the right areas, and
then pop the hose off the sprinkler, sip a timer in between the hose and the
sprinkler. At 5am, while I'm involved in deep REM sleep, my lawn gets
watered. When I get up at 9am, and go out to get the paper, I can see the
last signs of wetness, and a finger into the soil confirms that it had been
watered while I slept.

I also use the timer on the soaker hoses I have buried in my various beds,
and I have a meter that turns off based on volume on the hose hidden in the
bushes that tops off my water feature. The net result is it doesn't matter
if I forget I'm watering something. The water is automatically turned off at
the right time. And being able to set the start time, I can water things at
the best time of day even though it coincides with when I'm fast asleep.

Rarely have I gotten so much satisfaction for so little money buying
something that seemed to be a luxury at the time.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 12-07-2005, 10:36 PM
JoeT

"Joey Goldstein" wrote in message
Hah. Thanks.
I'm a musician so waking up that early (sometimes before I've even gone
to bed!) is not an option. g

That's why they invented timers!

joe

Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Steveo

Joey Goldstein wrote:
Hah. Thanks.
I'm a musician so waking up that early (sometimes before I've even gone
to bed!) is not an option. g

I had thought that maybe watering at night was good because there is
less evaporation but hadn't considered the fungus.

Thanks to all.

One add on to this thread..-anytime- is better than no time. (soak it)
Old 13-07-2005, 12:22 AM
Steveo

"JoeT" noway@today wrote:
"Joey Goldstein" wrote in message
Hah. Thanks.
I'm a musician so waking up that early (sometimes before I've even gone
to bed!) is not an option. g

That's why they invented timers!

joe

You mis-spelt irrigation system.

Old 13-07-2005, 03:04 PM

"NJ is not the center of the universe.....in much of the western US
we get less than 6"/yr. Not a lot of night rain! We have night time
temperatures perfect for fungal disease growth.....fact is in much of
the irrigated world pre dawn watering is the smartest approach. "

And isn't that what I said I do? if you're going to get it watered
pre-dawn, then for a reasonable size lawn, you'll have to start at 1 or
2AM.