GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Melon question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/103132-melon-question.html)

Kira Dirlik 01-09-2005 06:47 PM

Melon question

Hello,
My volunteer cucumber turned out to be a melon. I have never
before had any melons I've grown survive. They always rot before they
get ripe, but these two look like they may actually make it.
They look like they may be the type one sees in "quality" grocery
stores, like Weaver St. Market. In the store they are very large
cantelopes, light skin with the usual webbing, with lighter sides with
dirt where they have lain on the ground. They look much more natural
than the commercial cantelope, rock hard, dark green with beige
webbing.
Right now my melons are dark green. I thought they might be
small, rounder, watermelons. But last week they started forming the
beige webbing. They are much bigger than the commercial cantelopes.
My question is:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?
Thanks.
Kira

Daniel B. Martin 01-09-2005 08:56 PM

Kira Dirlik wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/c...935010165.html

Daniel B. Martin

Raleighgirl 01-09-2005 09:53 PM

Cantaloupes "slip" when ripe, i.e., they will easily pull from
the vine.
Raleighgirl

Steve 01-09-2005 10:21 PM

In article ,
Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

Most American cantaloupes (which are really muskmelons), are ready to
pick when they slip off the vine, i.e. the fruit comes off the vine
without cutting or hard pulling when you lift it with just a little
pressure. Smell is also a good indicator.

--
Steve

[email protected] 02-09-2005 05:17 PM

On 2005-09-01, Steve wrote:
In article ,
Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

Most American cantaloupes (which are really muskmelons), are ready to
pick when they slip off the vine, i.e. the fruit comes off the vine
without cutting or hard pulling when you lift it with just a little
pressure. Smell is also a good indicator.

and to prevent rot, get them off the ground. A piece of board or a
couple bricks under them.

is a garbage address.

Kira Dirlik 04-09-2005 06:59 AM

On 2005-09-01, Steve wrote:
In article ,
Kira Dirlik !! wrote:
How can I tell when they are ready to be picked?

Most American cantaloupes (which are really muskmelons), are ready to
pick when they slip off the vine, i.e. the fruit comes off the vine
without cutting or hard pulling when you lift it with just a little
pressure. Smell is also a good indicator.

and to prevent rot, get them off the ground. A piece of board or a
couple bricks under them.

Yes, musk melons. Well, one is on the ground, and the other hanging
from my chicken wire fence. Once I realized it was not the expected
cucumber, I made a sling out of one of those plastic net bags that
oranges are sold in, to take the weight off the vine of the one
hanging on the fence. I have propped up the one on the ground.
Their stems seem pretty solid at this time. Thanks for the advice...
I will keep watching.
Blessed be: no rain for the past 2 weeks! I actually got a fig crop
this year... 14 jars of preserves, and another load still ripening!
It's been 3 years since I got any off the tree before they rotted from
rain and bugs.
Kira