Old 07-04-2006, 06:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens
DH

Default Advice on overseeding lawn with warm season grass

I've just purchased a house with a VERY patchy lawn which looks like it is
60% fescue (in misc clumps) with 20% additional area covered by some warm
season grass which hasn't greened up yet. The remaining is bare.

I'd like to have a 100% warm-season grass lawn without spending the $$ on
sod so I'm considering trying to get seed or plugs to work.

My currently plan is to aerate the lawn (which is VERY compacted), cut the
existing grass real short, add some soil/manure casted over the lawn, and
then slit-seed a bunch of warm season grass seed. Finally cover with light
straw and water like crazy. Note - I've sent the soil sample to the NC
testing lab so will treat it as recommended by them with lime, etc.

I've read the NCSU lawn pdf plus other stuff about grass but I want some
testimonial advice. Has anyone gone though this process successfully? Will
warm-season grasses work with seed or should I do plugs? Will the warm
season grass replace the fescue or will I end up with a multi-colored lawn?
Any advice on warm season grass - I'm leaning towards centipede or Zoiya? My
main requirement is that I don't need to water it much during the summer and
that it will be low maintenance.

comment/advice appreciated.