GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   watering plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/148686-watering-plants.html)

blumby 13-08-2006 03:22 PM

watering plants

I have a hose bib right next to one of my flower beds that would be
perfect to run an soaker hose from but the problem is that its
connected to a water softner and for some reason it can't be
disconnected. Will the soft water kill my plants? I use it to water my
house plants and they are fine, but I don't want to take any chances of
doing any major damage.

[email protected] 14-08-2006 03:24 PM

watering plants

On 13 Aug 2006 07:22:48 -0700 in .com blumby wrote:
I have a hose bib right next to one of my flower beds that would be
perfect to run an soaker hose from but the problem is that its
connected to a water softner and for some reason it can't be
disconnected. Will the soft water kill my plants? I use it to water my
house plants and they are fine, but I don't want to take any chances of
doing any major damage.

Depends on the type of water softener and their salt tolerance.
If you have a water softener you have to load with salt,
you'll eventually create a dead zone.
You might want to get a plumber to install a bypass.

--
Chris Dukes
"The key to effective management is properly timed hovering."

blumby 15-08-2006 02:59 AM

watering plants

wrote:
On 13 Aug 2006 07:22:48 -0700 in .com blumby wrote:
I have a hose bib right next to one of my flower beds that would be
perfect to run an soaker hose from but the problem is that its
connected to a water softner and for some reason it can't be
disconnected. Will the soft water kill my plants? I use it to water my
house plants and they are fine, but I don't want to take any chances of
doing any major damage.

Depends on the type of water softener and their salt tolerance.
If you have a water softener you have to load with salt,
you'll eventually create a dead zone.
You might want to get a plumber to install a bypass.

-- Oh well iguess i'll have to hire a plumber. I was hoping to avoid that expense.