GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   managing squirrels and deer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/154671-managing-squirrels-deer.html)

Alan Magid 28-02-2007 04:31 PM

managing squirrels and deer

Digging in flower pots can just be foraging behavior or it can be
seeking moisture. Try leaving bowls of water about to see if that stops
it.

Also a spray made from cayenne and garlic discourages both squirrels and
deer. Deer ate the blooms off my impatiens all summer long until I began
the spraying. Boil a teaspoon of cayenne and garlic powder in a pint of
water. Strain and spray. Repeat after rain.

I had a neighbor some years ago who protected their pecans from
squirrels by the draconian measure of shooting a squirrel in the Fall
and nailing it to the tree. Harsh but effective.