Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Cindy Huffman

Default Gardening 101: Best place(s) to Buy Seeds

Hello,

I'm a frequent lurker of t.gardens (more infrequent with the cold months),
so I thought I'd pop out with a request for opinions on where to buy seeds.
Specifically, vegetable and herb seeds.

I had a very successfull first-time gardening experience last Spring and
Summer. I grew a couple variety of tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos and bell
peppers. All started from seed that I purchased locally. I am planning to
expand to other veggies this season. I also worked with some herbs,
although only a few started from seeds; most were purchased plants from the
local nurseries. But I'd like to try more from seed, as there seems to be
more variety available that way.

I am curious to know what the difference is between buying seeds locally
vs. via catalogs. I sense from other gardening folks that there is
excitement about receiving gardening catalogs and putting in their seed
orders through them. I've looked at various on-line vendors and I see
basically the same thing that I can get locally. I read about some folks
going with vendors that provided seeds that grew quality produce, which
makes sense - but I felt I had a great turn-out last year with the seeds I
used. Since I'm branching out to other veggies, I'd like to continue my
success rate and find out what's the best way to start...and just finding
out generally why people like one over the other.

I appreciate any information,
Cindy 'the novice gardener'
Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Cricket

One major thing we offer at Southern Exposure that you can't consistently
get locally is variety. I, as well as you, have had success with locally
purchased seeds, but the majority of my bets successes have been from
careful variety research and selection often not possible locally. For
example, I would never think you'll find Grandma Nellie's Mushroom Pole
Bean, and where else can you get a green bean with a mushroom flavor (these
are my favorite bean). I have also never seen Dr. Carolyn Tomato seeds or
Eva Purple Ball Tomato seed locally, yet these varieties were shining stars
in our tomato taste test. I could go on about this, seeing as how it's what
I do for a living. Clearly, there are often many great seeds available
locally as well.

--
Please see our website of gardening products at
http://www.southernexposure.com

Peace

Cricket.
25...

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Cricket

Also, if one is interested in purchasing organically certified seed, it is
often necessary to go to a catalog. Our catalog is about 1/3 certified
organic.

Old 01-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Susan H. Simko

Cindy Huffman wrote:

I am curious to know what the difference is between buying seeds locally
vs. via catalogs. I sense from other gardening folks that there is
excitement about receiving gardening catalogs and putting in their seed
orders through them.

I buy from catalogs mainly due to the fact that I can buy precisely what
I want. Instead of a couple of types of "generic" tomatoes, I can read
descriptions and requirements and research the many different varieties
offered at my leisure before making a decision. The other reason I use
catalogs is because I find many things in catalogs that are just not
available locally.

Final reason is that in the long run, it saves me money. Walking into a
home supply store is *very* dangerous to my checkbook. *grin*

My preference for mail order is seeds of change. I've had very good
results from their seeds. If you place the order via their website,
they offer a discount. Since I prefer i'net shopping anyway, it works
well for me. *smile*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu