GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pruning a schefflera (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/201720-pruning-schefflera.html)

[email protected] 26-12-2011 11:10 PM

Pruning a schefflera

I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?

mj 27-12-2011 06:03 PM

Pruning a schefflera

On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, wrote:
I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?

Are you wanting to cut back height or bushyness? I always just cut the
green but I am sure you can do both. I would hit it with some Miracle
Grow after you trim it up. Sun shouldn't matter

[email protected] 27-12-2011 06:46 PM

Pruning a schefflera

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:03:20 -0800 (PST), mj
wrote:

On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, wrote:
I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?

Are you wanting to cut back height or bushyness? I always just cut the
green but I am sure you can do both. I would hit it with some Miracle
Grow after you trim it up. Sun shouldn't matter

Height. It's growing like a tree: Long trunks with leaves at the top.
I have another one that is more shrub-like.

mj 27-12-2011 07:25 PM

Pruning a schefflera

wrote:

On Dec 26, 6:10*pm, wrote:
I have a potted schefflera that has gotten too tall. If I prune it,
will it come back from the cut? If so:

Where should I cut, green part or woody part?

When? Now or when the sun is stronger? It's in a west-facing
greenhouse wall until after last frost, when it goes on a south-facing
deck.

There are three stems, about 3/4" each. Should I cut all at once or do
one and let it get a foothold before doing the next?

Are you wanting to cut back height or bushyness? I always just cut the
green but I am sure you can do both. I would hit it with some Miracle
Grow after you trim it up. Sun shouldn't matter

Height. It's growing like a tree: Long trunks with leaves at the top.
I have another one that is more shrub-like.

Then I would cut it off to the height you want it to be and when the
new growth starts pinch about half of it. That should promote a fuller
plant.