GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   those old houses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/56008-those-old-houses.html)

Arwen Long 18-03-2004 01:35 PM

those old houses

This topic has come up a few times before -- I have been driving past a
house that looks abandoned but has a bit of a garden and want to
transplant some flowers. There isn't a construction sign or such: is there
a city government office that could tell me who holds the deed to the
house? I think it must have been a foreclosure or bankruptcy or something
since I the house hasn't been for sale...

Any ideas?

Arwen

Doc Muhlbaier 18-03-2004 03:10 PM

those old houses

The county Register of Deeds has it. It's a public document, but you may
have to go to the county office to see it.

Durham County has it on it's web site: http://www.co.durham.nc.us/ (select
"Public Records Databases"). Orange may as well.

Doc

ub.duke.edu...

Joanna & Mark Glass 18-03-2004 03:37 PM

those old houses

There is also one for the Wake County Area.
I have found it very useful.
http://aws1.co.wake.nc.us/realestate/search.asp

"Doc Muhlbaier" wrote in message
The county Register of Deeds has it. It's a public document, but you may
have to go to the county office to see it.

Durham County has it on it's web site: http://www.co.durham.nc.us/

(select
"Public Records Databases"). Orange may as well.

Doc

ub.duke.edu...

Susan Gillispie 18-03-2004 06:39 PM

those old houses

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Ordinarily you can go to the nearest house and find out.  What often
looks abandoned is in reality, not.  My aunt has a huge open field
next to her house and my uncle frequently made plantings all over the place.
More than one person has stopped, gotten out of the car with a big shovel
and tried to remove her crepe myrtle bushes while calling them "neglected".
That attempt is usually stopped with a shotgun, so my advice would be definitely
ask the neighbors.
pArwen Long wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEThis topic has come up a few times before -- I have
been driving past a
brhouse that looks abandoned but has a bit of a garden and want to
brtransplant some flowers. There isn't a construction sign or such: is
there
bra city government office that could tell me who holds the deed to the
brhouse? I think it must have been a foreclosure or bankruptcy or something
brsince I the house hasn't been for sale...
pAny ideas?
pArwen/blockquote
/html

Steve Holzworth 18-03-2004 11:11 PM

those old houses

In article uke.edu,
Arwen Long wrote:

This topic has come up a few times before -- I have been driving past a
house that looks abandoned but has a bit of a garden and want to
transplant some flowers. There isn't a construction sign or such: is there
a city government office that could tell me who holds the deed to the
house? I think it must have been a foreclosure or bankruptcy or something
since I the house hasn't been for sale...

Any ideas?

Arwen

Depends on where it is. If you know the address, both Wake and Chatham
counties have online property listings. I suspect Durham and Orange do
also. That should show the owner of record and said person's mailing
address for tax purposes.

I suspect that if a bank owns it via foreclosure, they will not be
inclined to let you on the property due to liability issues.

--
Steve Holzworth "Do not attribute to poor spelling
That which is actually poor typing..."

Dan Becker 19-03-2004 12:57 AM

those old houses

In article , Steve Holzworth
wrote:

In article uke.edu,
Arwen Long wrote:

This topic has come up a few times before -- I have been driving past a
house that looks abandoned but has a bit of a garden and want to
transplant some flowers. There isn't a construction sign or such: is there
a city government office that could tell me who holds the deed to the
house? I think it must have been a foreclosure or bankruptcy or something
since I the house hasn't been for sale...

Any ideas?

Arwen

Depends on where it is. If you know the address, both Wake and Chatham
counties have online property listings.

Actually, you can find it graphically as well in Wake using the iMaps
web tool:

http://imaps.co.wake.nc.us/imaps/

Dan