Old 03-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Mac Cool

Default Beginner Johnny Appleseed, anything I should beware of?

We planted 3 apple trees this year, 2 Fujis and something else to
pollinate with. A friend was telling me that apple trees take a lot of
care and spraying. Anything I should be aware of?
--
Mac Cool
Old 03-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Baine Carruthers

Apple trees don't require the care that say roses do. Pruning for proper
branch stucture is key and will help with the pest problems. Having said
this, I noticed after the rain that the Cedar Apples are "flowering".
Beautiful color to the cedars but many apples and crabapples are
susceptable. The disease doesn't usually kill.

--
Baine

Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Kira Dirlik

On Mon, 3 May 2004 06:36:35 -0400, "Baine Carruthers"
wrote:

Apple trees don't require the care that say roses do.

My neighbor planted 3 apple trees on his land, and since I walk my dog
there every day, (his house is elsewhere) I daily pick off the
Japanese beetles (soon to arrive). The trees almost died the first
year, with "lace" foliage.
My question is: on old abandoned farmsites one always sees these
ancient apple trees, just full of leaves and apples. Nothing seems to
molest these trees. Now why is it that any apple tree I might plant
would be devoured by beetles, but not these old trees that are totally
neglected?
Kira
Old 03-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Baine Carruthers

I'm fond of stayman winesap and for this area they don't seem prone to the
problems of the "fancy" hybrids. I've never sprayed any pesticides on them
though I have the equipment and the chemicals. My guineas seem to keep the
jap beetles in check, even on my purple plums.

--
Baine

wrote:

Apple trees don't require the care that say roses do.

My neighbor planted 3 apple trees on his land, and since I walk my dog
there every day, (his house is elsewhere) I daily pick off the
Japanese beetles (soon to arrive). The trees almost died the first
year, with "lace" foliage.
My question is: on old abandoned farmsites one always sees these
ancient apple trees, just full of leaves and apples. Nothing seems to
molest these trees. Now why is it that any apple tree I might plant
would be devoured by beetles, but not these old trees that are totally
neglected?
Kira

what Carolyn's lean poultice dreams, Johnny excuses without clever, shallow barns X. X. Van Damm-Goldstone United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 11:32 AM
"Johnny-Jump-ups" Fiona United Kingdom 12 02-03-2004 02:26 AM
"Johnny-Jump-ups" Fiona United Kingdom 0 29-02-2004 11:47 PM
"Johnny-Jump-ups" Fiona United Kingdom 0 29-02-2004 11:45 PM
Johnny's Selected Seeds Mary McHugh Edible Gardening 3 02-01-2004 10:02 PM