Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Pond Plants

To whomever was posting about wanting pond plants...

If anyone wants pond plants, I'm planning on doing some extensive
culling of plants tonight. (Well, as long as it doesn't rain.) I am
planning on taking out some pickerel, parrot's feather and dwarf water
hyacinth. If you want some, please contact me directly at the email
address listed below my name (remove the square brackets). If you don't
get them tonight they're going into the garbage. The root systems are
beginning to interfere with my pump and filter so they need to go.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu
Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Anne Lurie

Susan,

If you have a "bog" area in your water garden, you might try planting the
parrot's feather there. I think I've seen photos of something like that
posted at rec.ponds (well, links were posted, not photos).

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 09-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Susan H. Simko

Anne Lurie wrote:

If you have a "bog" area in your water garden, you might try planting the
parrot's feather there. I think I've seen photos of something like that
posted at rec.ponds (well, links were posted, not photos).

Problem was mainly that the parrot's feather needed to be thinned out
more than anything else. I hadn't done any serious thinning since last
year. In addition, the pickerel had blown out it's planting basket and
pretty much tripled in size since last year. Once I removed the stuff I
wanted out, I had to add about 200 gallons of water to make up for the
plant material that I had removed. I took out a serious amount of
plants for my little 800 gallon pond.

Downside, it still hasn't totally settled yet from all the disturbances.
Water is still a tad cloudy. This is better than not being able to
see *anything* below the surface after I stirred everything up Monday
night thinning the plants.

Susan
shsimko[@]duke[.]edu