Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
JF

Default My neighbor feeds the deer

We've been in our west Durham home, near Duke Forest, for eleven years, and
we've always had problems with deer. Twenty-five azaleas were regarded as
salad, and hosta, impatiens, lilies, and many other plants were usually
consumed just before they reached their peak.

It's been worse, however, in the past two or three years. The deer have
eaten English ivy almost to the ground, have drastically pruned the liriope,
and are evermore daring. They are often on the front walk or in the backyard
in the middle of the day.

This morning there were five in the front yard, including two in the azalea
plantings only six feet from the living room where I was taking photographic
evidence.

I'm sure part of the problem is a neighbor who puts out cracked corn in the
wooded area behind his house. The deer have worn that area, about twelve
feet by twenty-five feet, to bare earth. I often see six or seven deer in
the area, about 150 feet from my backyard.

Is feeding deer the problem, or is it that there are just too many more
housing developments?

Can I do any thing other than politely asking my neighbor to stop feeding
the deer?

Old 09-06-2004, 03:23 PM
Anne Lurie

JF,

I was not able to determine from your post how long your neighbor has been
feeding the deer, but you mentioned that you have had a problem with deer in
the 11 years you have been there.

I think you were right when you said "too many more housing
evelopments" -- especially when they are landscaped with "deer yummies"
such as landscaping, etc.

As for the neighbor who feeds the deer, have you considered the possibility
that the deer are eating the corn put out *instead* of your plants? (In
which case, I'd be chipping in on a truckload of corn myself.)

I don't have much experience with deer in the yard here, but we did see a
few last year -- not far from our teeny little water garden, so I think
they may have come for a source of water.

Anne Lurie
somewhere in the desert that is NE Raleigh

link.net...

Old 09-06-2004, 04:21 PM
Doc Muhlbaier

If you are outside the city limits, you could get a hunting license.

We are inside the city limits and have seen 35 at one time in our
development; they even eat out of the planters on the porch. We use
electric fencing around the roses; by placing the wire close to the bed,
they won't jump it (the wire is invisible from the street). Some neighbors
have put up 8' tall electric fences in a more perimeter fashion. Get the
charger and ground rod from Southern States or someone who sells to farmers;
the brands carried by Lowes and Home Depot are too flimsy. Put it on a
timer so it doesn't zap anyone during the day.

Doc

link.net...

Old 11-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Tom

LOL !!!!!!!

s.com...

Old 17-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Jo

Hi all,
I was watching Alton Brown this morning and he had mentioned that most
landscapers are now using Rosemary as a natural deer fence. They grow up to
about 15 feet high.
I loved his little comment that it works because the deer know it tastes so
good with them.
(Wouldn't know, I'm vegetarian)
Best of luck with your deer.

Jo

s.com...

Foliar feeds Neil Jones United Kingdom 3 11-06-2004 09:24 AM
Foliar feeds Neil Jones United Kingdom 3 11-06-2004 08:21 AM
Foliar feeds Neil Jones United Kingdom 3 11-06-2004 03:35 AM
Foliar feeds Neil Jones United Kingdom 3 10-06-2004 06:58 PM
Neglect feeds future fires Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 05-02-2003 04:38 PM