GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   four o'clock (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/north-carolina/80480-four-oclock.html)

Susan Gillispie 28-07-2004 09:20 PM

four o'clock

I meant invasive in my YARD. I think those things could grow on the
moon. They are almost as bad as mimosas.

Kelly Garner 28-07-2004 11:25 PM

four o'clock

In article ,
Susan Gillispie wrote:
I meant invasive in my YARD. I think those things could grow on the
moon. They are almost as bad as mimosas.

Hm! Good to know. Do they propagate by self-seeding, are invasive under certain
conditions or... should they just be planted where they'll do "OK but not great"?
:-)

Cheers
KJ
--
---
"A photograph is neither taken nor seized by force. It offers itself up. It is

Susan Gillispie 29-07-2004 02:34 PM

four o'clock

Kelly Garner wrote:
In article ,
Susan Gillispie wrote:

I meant invasive in my YARD. I think those things could grow on the
moon. They are almost as bad as mimosas.

Hm! Good to know. Do they propagate by self-seeding, are invasive under certain
conditions or... should they just be planted where they'll do "OK but not great"?
:-)

Cheers
KJ

I put them where I want a little color and few other things will grow.
I have a bed far in the back of my yard and they look good there. They
self-sow like crazy. There are some with broken colors (a new kind)
that I think are particularly nice.

E Gregory 29-07-2004 07:27 PM

four o'clock

Susan Gillispie wrote:
Kelly Garner wrote:

In article ,
Susan Gillispie wrote:

I meant invasive in my YARD. I think those things could grow on the
moon. They are almost as bad as mimosas.

Hm! Good to know. Do they propagate by self-seeding, are invasive
under certain conditions or... should they just be planted where
they'll do "OK but not great"? :-)

Cheers
KJ

I put them where I want a little color and few other things will grow. I
have a bed far in the back of my yard and they look good there. They
self-sow like crazy. There are some with broken colors (a new kind)
that I think are particularly nice.

What does "broken colors" mean? I like 4 o'clocks, my Mom had them when
I was a kid. Do you know whether deer like to munch them?
Thanks,
Eileen

J. Mormino 06-08-2004 10:30 PM

four o'clock

They propagate themselves with those black seeds that are left after the
bloom dies-you can pick them right out...or put some plastic down around it
and shake it gently...they will also cross pollinate-making new colors
etc...I love 4 o'clocks-they smell so yummy! I have noticed slight
differences in the scent between the white, pink and red ones in my yard.