Old 02-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Jo

Default Winter Gardens

What do most of the folks in the area plant in their winter gardens?

Old 07-09-2004, 03:21 PM
Anne Lurie

Well, my main vegetable garden will need a *lot* of weeding, so I won't be
planting anything there anytime soon.

However, I have hope for my raised beds, and I'll put in leaf lettuce,
spinach, and arugula just as soon as I get the seeds. (I didn't feel like
chasing all over town trying to find seeds this time of year, so I simply
ordered them online from Burpee.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

Old 07-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Jo

How late can you start planting?
I know that Hudson Hardware (Use to be ACE) In Garner has some seeds.
Thanks again Anne!

. ..

Old 11-09-2004, 08:21 AM
laurie \(Mother Mastiff\)

Jo,

My winter garden is my main one, I no longer plant food for bugs, which is
what a spring/summer/fall garden is in NC.

I plant about 6 varieties of collards, leaf lettuces (mesclun blends), and
fancy kales. Bok choy and other chinese cabbage relatives do well in
winter, as does spinach. I have had great luck with Bright Lights chard.

Broccoli did better than expected last year, so this year I am planting more
of it. Am trying brussels sprouts this year too, and promised a friend I'd
plant kohlrabi for him, so I need to order seed. (It's like a pale green or
purple turnip where the bulb part grows above the ground).

Other good winter veggies for the area are cabbage (I like the ones with
those little conical heads or the old English variety that has such colorful
heads) and cauliflower including the broccoli-cauliflower crosses that have
such interesting shapes and colors.

I am looking for my purslane seeds, I love purslane and it does well in
winter here. I love to grow mustards in winter as well, the mild purple
ones or the lacy ones.

Oh, and I usually plant a 10x10 patch of turnip greens for my handyman's
84-year old mother. She is almost as old as my own mother, so she deserves
to be coddled a bit.

Winter is my only busy time in the garden! In summer I now grow just
flowers. Am up to my coccyx in zinnias. Especially love the pale lime
green ones.

Hope this helped. laurie (Mother Mastiff)

"Jo" wrote in message
. ..
How late can you start planting?
I know that Hudson Hardware (Use to be ACE) In Garner has some seeds.
Thanks again Anne!

. ..

Old 12-09-2004, 02:36 AM
Jo

"laurie (Mother Mastiff)" wrote in
message hlink.net...
[...]

That helps a ton!
I noticed the bug garden this year, as it was my first, but I had luck with
my ladybirds and praying mantids for most of it eating them nicely.
I have noticed my eggplant have become munchables for something or other.
Other than tomatoes and hot peppers, I would probably enjoy eating what the
winter garden produces much more.
Thank you again for the help, now to print out a list and go shopping!

Jo

Old 13-09-2004, 07:05 AM
MAC

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:41:47 GMT, "Jo"
wrote:

What do most of the folks in the area plant in their winter gardens?

Don't know about most folks, but we're putting in collards and
buttercrunch lettuce. Fall is about the only time those two crops are
worth growing.

MAC
Old 15-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Paul Mitchell

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, MAC wrote:

Don't know about most folks, but we're putting in collards and
buttercrunch lettuce. Fall is about the only time those two crops are
worth growing.

We've got healthy beds of arugula and mizuna already sowed (they love this
weather) and now we're putting in spinach, some leaf lettuce and shard.

I also have cilantro in various stages which has resown itself after
bolting into corriander earlier this summer. People always ask me how do
you grow cilantro down here and the answer is it grows all year long,
except for the summer.

Paul

Old 20-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Dot Proulx

Is there a good place around the Triangle to get seeds for the things listed
below?
I often have trouble finding seeds for fall planting.

Thanks,
Dot

[...]

"Jo" wrote in message
. ..
How late can you start planting?
I know that Hudson Hardware (Use to be ACE) In Garner has some seeds.
Thanks again Anne!

. ..

Old 21-09-2004, 03:17 PM
Jo

I know that Hudsons in Garner has a couple of seeds left, but not much of a
choice.
I took Anne's advice and ordered from Burpee, took only a few days to get
here.
I order from another site online as well.
http://corporate.auctionworks.com/st...0&sfi d=18011

They also have stuff listed on ebay.

I have had pretty good luck with their seeds.

Jo

"Dot Proulx" wrote in message
[...]

"Jo" wrote in message
. ..
How late can you start planting?
I know that Hudson Hardware (Use to be ACE) In Garner has some seeds.
Thanks again Anne!

. ..

Old 22-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Anne Lurie

Dot,

I saw that Lowe's on Capital Boulevard had some lettuce seeds, but I did not
look that closely because I had already ordered from Burpeee.

If you are looking for variety, I recommend the online sites.

Burpee: http://www.burpee.com/
Territorial Seed: http://www.territorial-seed.com/
Cook's Garden: http://www.cooksgarden.com/home.asp
(ya gotta love a company that carries 50 kinds of lettuce!)

Hmmmm..... I already received the LL Bean Christmas catalog -- can the
seed catalogues be far behind? (Actually, I think Territorial has a
separate fall catalogue.)

Anne Lurie
NE Raleigh

"Dot Proulx" wrote in message
[...]

"Jo" wrote in message
. ..
How late can you start planting?
I know that Hudson Hardware (Use to be ACE) In Garner has some seeds.
Thanks again Anne!

. ..