GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/153637-oncidium-forbesii-avalon-kind-oncidiums.html)

Eric Hunt[_1_] 02-01-2007 04:11 AM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

1 Attachment(s)
Oncidium species just don't get any better than this guy.

Species from Brazil

Grown by Anna S. Chai.

--
-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

tbell 02-01-2007 06:08 AM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 20:11:27 -0800, Eric Hunt wrote
(in article ) :

Oncidium species just don't get any better than this guy.

Species from Brazil

Grown by Anna S. Chai.

I don't usually like the chocolate/brown blooms, but with that yellow edging
this is wonderful.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Eric Hunt[_1_] 02-01-2007 06:55 AM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

Tom,

Absolutely! The gold picotee really is the detail that just makes everything
else work.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

.com...

Eric Hunt[_1_] 02-01-2007 07:15 AM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

*laff* I just caught my typo in the subject.

That should be "king of the Oncidiums"

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

John Varigos 02-01-2007 08:34 AM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

Great photo and a great word, Eric.

Had me running for my dictionaries. One said "A variety of the pink in
which the edges of the petals are often a darker colour than the flowers "
and the other said " A type of carnation of which the flowers have a light
ground and dark-edged petals." Maybe you can go into the Oxford Dictionary
as being the first to apply this term to orchids.

Cheers

John

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
Tom,

Absolutely! The gold picotee really is the detail that just makes
everything else work.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

.com...

P Max 02-01-2007 02:52 PM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

beautiful set of photos tonight Eric. Oncidium forbesii are as good as it
gets with this genus
Peter

--
)

Steve[_2_] 03-01-2007 05:13 AM

John Varigos wrote:
Great photo and a great word, Eric.

Had me running for my dictionaries. One said "A variety of the pink in
which the edges of the petals are often a darker colour than the flowers "
and the other said " A type of carnation of which the flowers have a light
ground and dark-edged petals." Maybe you can go into the Oxford Dictionary
as being the first to apply this term to orchids.....................

Far too late for that:
(see description of the 2nd orchid)
http://www.wickfordorchids.com/phala...opogations.htm

Steve

John Varigos 03-01-2007 06:48 AM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

Then try this site, Steve
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picotee

John

wendy7 03-01-2007 05:02 PM

Oncidium forbesii 'Avalon' - kind of the Oncidiums

I see what you mean Steve. I just Image Googled & found some doozies!

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid