GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Maxillaria cucullata 'John' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/153663-maxillaria-cucullata-john.html)

John Varigos 04-01-2007 09:00 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

1 Attachment(s)
I liked this one because it had such a dark labellum and I was partial to
the varietal name. It is found growing in Mexico right through Central
America.

~John

AusDigi 05-01-2007 10:19 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

Ooh yes, very black. Do you have a close-up of the labellum? I was wondering
because the Black-tongue Fingers (Caladenia congesta) labellum isn't
actually black when you look at it closely but a really dark red.

om...

danny 07-01-2007 04:43 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

I've got a few pictures of this and another closely related plant, and those
lips are extremely dark. Even with a closeup flash they don't really show
color. I'll have to take another look sometime, they will probably be a
super dark red under close inspection.
-danny

K Barrett 07-01-2007 04:21 PM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

Eric will have a better picture of this one soon, but here's a 'black'
orchid

http://www.aospacificcentral.org/PnO...maxschunk.html

K Barrett

. ..

John Varigos 07-01-2007 09:48 PM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the link, Kathy. I took a photos of Maxillaria schunkeana
benched at one of our meetings this year. This particular clone looked
black, but as Reiner observed, it is in actual fact very dark red when seen
close up.

Perhaps the one Dan has at Hanging Gardens is even darker. Eric do you have
a photo of Dan's plant?

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Eric will have a better picture of this one soon, but here's a 'black'
orchid

http://www.aospacificcentral.org/PnO...maxschunk.html

K Barrett

. ..

danny 07-01-2007 11:56 PM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

I have this species, although I haven't bloomed it in a couple years now.
They're dark red. The lips on the Max. cucullata are darker.
-danny

Eric Hunt[_1_] 08-01-2007 01:14 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

John,

The plant Kathy linked *IS* Dan's plant!

I got a photo today of the plant in question at the Peninsula show - will
post a link later tonite when I've got the photo ready.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

John Varigos 08-01-2007 02:10 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

Hi Eric

I knew that that was Dan's plant _ I was wondering whether you had a better
photo than that in the link. Re-reading my post I could have worded it
better. No wonder Kathy was "???????????".
Cheers

John

Eric Hunt[_1_] 08-01-2007 03:00 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

Folks,

Here's my version. I couldn't get a closeup like Kathy - the plant was
firmly ensconced in a display.

It's really stunning. That might explain the 83 point AM/AOS!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/349869645/

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

John Varigos 08-01-2007 05:22 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

Eric

How about an attachment? ;-(

John

Susan Erickson 08-01-2007 06:13 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 19:00:08 -0800, "Eric Hunt"
wrote:

Folks,

Here's my version. I couldn't get a closeup like Kathy - the plant was
firmly ensconced in a display.

It's really stunning. That might explain the 83 point AM/AOS!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/349869645/

-Eric in SF

Fantastic. And that certainly appears Black. Who was the comic
character -(?) Brenda Star, whose Mystery Man was always bring her
black Orchids?

Too bad this one is not the big floof they drew in the comics G
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

AusDigi 08-01-2007 09:16 AM

Maxillaria cucullata 'John'

"John Varigos" wrote in message
m...
How about an attachment? ;-(
"Eric Hunt" wrote in message
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericinsf/349869645/

Tis a cool, black-looking thing. John, can't you get flickr images?