GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help in Identification. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/153688-help-identification.html)

Mark_OK 06-01-2007 05:03 PM

Help in Identification.

1 Attachment(s)
My daughter lives in Atlanta and on our visit this summer we went to the
Atlanta Botanical Gardens. My wife doesn't share my enthusiasm for orchids
but enjoys the flowers I bring into the house. Much to my delight she asked
if I ever got one like she saw at ABG and was most impressed with. So I'm on
the hunt for this one.

TIA

Mark Edson
Waukomis Oklahoma, USA

danny 06-01-2007 06:44 PM

Help in Identification.

Grammatophyllum scriptum. I actually saw one in spike at a grocery store a
few months ago, sometimes weird stuff pops up among all the normal phal
hybrids. These aren't small plants, and I think they take a lot of light.
If you have the right conditions they can put on quite a show.
Unfortunately it's not something I could grow easily under lights, so I just
admire them at the garden.
-danny

. net...

Mark_OK 07-01-2007 07:56 PM

Help in Identification.

Thanks. I looked at the video I shot and saw the spike had to be 5 foot
long! I'll try and find a look alike that is a little smaller.

"danny" wrote in message news:b4Snh.20078$_X.739@bigfe9...
Grammatophyllum scriptum. I actually saw one in spike at a grocery store
a few months ago, sometimes weird stuff pops up among all the normal phal
hybrids. These aren't small plants, and I think they take a lot of light.
If you have the right conditions they can put on quite a show.
Unfortunately it's not something I could grow easily under lights, so I
just admire them at the garden.
-danny

. net...