GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trip to RF Orchids (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/153762-trip-rf-orchids.html)

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 09:50 PM

Trip to RF Orchids

We led a "delegation" down to the Tamiami International Orchid Festival in
Miami Saturday (great event, by the way! I picked up a few neat things.).
After that we went down to RF in Homestead. Frank & I have been to RF a
number of times, but never took the "garden tour" until Saturday.

There is much to be seen right out in the open, but there is so much more
beyond the obvious. It's quite a place. Unfortunately, our camera was not
with us, but one of our members took lots of photos, and is happy to share
them. His name is Patrick McClintock, and I thank him.

I'll keep everything in this thread. I am including some shots of the
grounds where orchids are not obvious, but I think they will serve to give
you a flavor of the place.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 09:54 PM

Rhy. giagantea

1 Attachment(s)
How's this for a Rhy. gigantea?

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 09:57 PM

Rhy. giagantea close

1 Attachment(s)
A close look at another Rhy. gig

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 09:58 PM

Rhy. giagantea close

Um, I really do know how to spell gigantea. Really.

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:12 PM

RF: Phal House

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of people think that RF deals exclusively with Vandaceous plants, but
they do quite a bit more. Vandas are what they are famous for, but take a
look at the Phal house!

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:17 PM

RF: Jade Vine

1 Attachment(s)
When we approached this vine, we thought we were looking at a glass
decoration. I don't know that a photo can do justice to the luminescence of
the color and texture. If you Google it, you'll find loads of information.
It won't grow well in zones under ten, however. Since we just make it here,
I'm going to try this plant.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:20 PM

RF: Huge Epi

1 Attachment(s)
Since I didn't take these pics, I don't have plant names. Still, look
closely at this one. I didn't have time to count the spikes! This is just
one of numerous specimen orchids simply growing on trees around the
property.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:24 PM

RF: Another Rhy. gigantea

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see, this is one plant.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:25 PM

RF: Bromeliads

1 Attachment(s)
They speak for themselves.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:30 PM

RF: Pretty Asco

1 Attachment(s)
Wish I had the name of this one.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:32 PM

RF: Waterfall & Statuary

1 Attachment(s)
Water features abound, along with many statues and carvings.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:37 PM

RF: Catts Abound

2 Attachment(s)
Disregard the file names. I believe that the one labeled lueddemanniana is
mossiae. In any event, things are blooming a bit earlier this year due to
warmer than usual temps in winter.

Everywhere we looked, there were enormous specimen Catts. Amazing.

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:40 PM

RF: Some Pond!

2 Attachment(s)
This is a man made pond, well stocked with huge fish. Of course, it has
another watefall!

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:45 PM

RF: More Specimens

2 Attachment(s)
These are just two examples of the huge plants on these premises. A great
big Vanda and the Schomburgkia that ate Miami!

Diana

Diana Kulaga 29-01-2007 10:48 PM

RF: A Couple of Vandas

2 Attachment(s)
Such lovely colors. They really *do* Vandas!

Diana