Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Paph. Raisin Pie x Supersuk

From Hausermann's in Chicago.
The tag says:

Paph. Raisin Pie 'Hsinying' x SIB Paph Supersuk 'Eureka' AM/AOS x

--
Mark Edson
Waukomis Oklahoma, USA
Old 04-02-2007, 08:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nice one Mark. I can see why you were worried about it getting crushed by
security at the airport.

I was in Chicago last November but couldn't get out to Hausermann's. Do you
have any photos of the set up as I would like see what I missed.

Cheers

John

"Mark_OK" wrote in message
et...
From Hausermann's in Chicago.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:35 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Love the raspberry colours on this guy Mark. Very nice.

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

From Hausermann's in Chicago.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 07:54:04 +1100, "John Varigos"
wrote:

Nice one Mark. I can see why you were worried about it getting crushed by
security at the airport.

I was in Chicago last November but couldn't get out to Hausermann's. Do you
have any photos of the set up as I would like see what I missed.

Cheers

John

There are several people that 'live in ABPO' that occasionally drop by
Hausermanns. I am sure we can get some photos posted someday soon. We
usually go in September to the Chicagoland Festival. But others or
lurkers must live closer and go more often.

It is a convoluted place as they keep adding gh. It used to be a row
side by side -- maybe 7 and the last 3 or 4 were just for cut cattleya
production. If you can imagine benches 3 tier shelving bottom -
mid-level top down the other side mid level and bottom. Now each of
these plants was in a pot around the 12 inches plus size. Each plant
was a standard Catt. and had it's own private drip line to water it.

If you were there near Easter, Mother's Day, Prom season -- etc great
sections were in bloom. Otherwise it was just huge cattleya's as ugly
as they come.

Across the main aisle they had added closed gh for phal production and
working space. One of the center houses held the growing flasks, the
flasking working are is near the front and you could often see bottles
spinning. One of the smaller gh held species.

Now - you will find I think it is 2 gh that connect with the far end
gh and the show-room gh on the west side. Here we usually find
Cocktail Catts as Hausermann's call them. The bloom 4-6 flowers and
are a bit more refined that the corsage Catt of the 40-50's. On the
East side in front is office and packing. then from the show room
back (maybe 3 gh in) they have added working gh. Most have Phals or
are closed to traffic. There is an east end cap of a gh running north
and south to connect the far walks together.

The show room is set with tables in a circle and changing display
tables in the center. Generally one group - say the 'Wildcatts' were
in a side display to show their variety and the fact that many were in
bloom. These displays are all blooming plants most are snickered with
their price. Often one long side had big Catts sitting on the floor
and on a narrow table above. If they were in the process of repotting
- back bulbs may or may not be available at good discounts.

The rest of that gh held Epi, neofineta hybrids, and a couple of rows
of Paphs. The walk down the center of the complex has a bench with a
mini picket fence so as you leave to explore you are tempted to reach
over the fence to gain a phal that has been priced.

SuE

Old 06-02-2007, 03:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 08:22:38 +1100, "John Varigos"
wrote:

Thanks for the verbal tour Sue. Sounds like one could spend a few hours
just browsing. Much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Got so wordy I forgot to tell Mark that the Paph is now named Hsinying
Alien. It was registered by Ching Hua in 2004.

Pretty thing.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Thanks Sue.
The Orchid God tried to do me in. A florescent light pulled loose and landed
right on the plant without breaking a bulb. No damage to the paph other than
dumping it, but it neatly sliced the seed pod off a phal that I was wanting
to experiment with.

wrote:

Thanks for the verbal tour Sue. Sounds like one could spend a few hours
just browsing. Much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Got so wordy I forgot to tell Mark that the Paph is now named Hsinying
Alien. It was registered by Ching Hua in 2004.

Pretty thing.

Rate This Thread: