Old 27-03-2007, 01:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Epidendrum stamfordianum

This is my pride of the moment. I also bought this plant as a seedling
three years ago and it is also its first flowering, but the spike is
huge, with over 50 flowers. Probably the very hot summer, last year, did
the trick.

It has a strong smell, a bit strange, like artificial mandarin scent. It
is lovely and awful at the same time. A bit confusing...

There seem to be very many colour varieties in this species. One of them
is a really dark purple one, I still hope to find that some day.

Greets, Niek

Attached Thumbnails
Epidendrum stamfordianum-epidstamf.jpg   Epidendrum stamfordianum-epidstamfflower.jpg
Old 28-03-2007, 12:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Big flowers, Niek. Most of the stamfordianums that I have see have much
smaller flowers. There are some really cool color variants of this. The one
I have now (just coming into bloom, for the first time) is a lot like yours.
I say "now" because I had a beauty that conked off due to hurricane stress a
couple of years ago. I hope to find another like it. Perhaps at Redland this
year?

Diana

Old 28-03-2007, 09:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I'm not sure what makes you think that it has big flowers. The close up
might be misleading. The flowers are some 1.5" across. But still the
plant makes me very happy!

Greets, Niek

Old 30-03-2007, 12:59 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Nice one, Neik.
Peter

--
)
"Niek Hanckmann" wrote in message
This is my pride of the moment. I also bought this plant as a seedling
three years ago and it is also its first flowering, but the spike is
huge, with over 50 flowers. Probably the very hot summer, last year, did
the trick.

It has a strong smell, a bit strange, like artificial mandarin scent. It
is lovely and awful at the same time. A bit confusing...

There seem to be very many colour varieties in this species. One of them
is a really dark purple one, I still hope to find that some day.

Greets, Niek

Rate This Thread: