GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Off Topic - Nest in Cage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/157322-off-topic-nest-cage.html)

wendy7 23-04-2007 04:49 PM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

1 Attachment(s)
Here we have a rattan ornamental cage with an artificial Toucan Bird.

The humming bird nest is inside at the bottom.

Mom picked a well protected area on the patio, with food close by.

Will post a close up of the chicks.
Cheers Wendy

Psss....not really off topic, there is a Vanilla planifolia (sp?) in the
background.

Kye 24-04-2007 12:24 AM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

Well consider the Vanilla as your saving grace (that and the fact that that
nest is so AWESOME!!)

Kye.

Gene Schurg 24-04-2007 02:34 AM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

Wendy,

That is too cool! I've never seen humingbirds nest before.

I get excited each year when the bluebirds take residence in one of my
birdboxes.

Do you have a feeder near them?

Gene

SuE 25-04-2007 04:21 AM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:49:41 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

Here we have a rattan ornamental cage with an artificial Toucan Bird.

The humming bird nest is inside at the bottom.

Wendy -
That is neat. I thought hummingbird nests were hung so they swayed.
Did the one the other year sit on something? Cool. Can hardly wait
for the next installment.
SuE

wendy7 25-04-2007 05:09 AM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

Hi Gene,
Yes they are neat & have a feeder about 6 feet away. I saw
little bobbing heads with open beaks today.
Cheers Wendy

wendy7 25-04-2007 05:15 AM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

Hi the Sue, Not sure which one I posted but no they are usually supported by
a couple of branches or twigs.
Have to prep the next set of pics.
Cheers Wendy

P Max 25-04-2007 11:34 PM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

That was good Wendy. I notice the toucan didn't deter the hummers -
scarecrow effect!
Peter

--
)

wendy7 26-04-2007 04:35 PM

Off Topic - Nest in Cage

*G* Thanks Peter, I was wondering too, when the chicks fledge, would they
come back & think the toucan
is their Dad? *G*