Old 23-04-2007, 04:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Hummer Chicks at 6 days old

With no feathers, these little guys are so tiny, about the size of a
fingernail, look like bugs. The eggs look like breath mints.

The inside of the nest is about 1/2 inch across.

If you look carefully there is a tiny bit of orange which is one of the
chicks beaks.

At 6 days old they have doubled in size & will actually fledge at about 24
days old.

Cheers Wendy

Attached Thumbnails
Hummer Chicks at 6 days old-hummerchicks6days-old-adsc00624.jpg
Old 24-04-2007, 01:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Incredible. Nature is amazing. A cardinal built a nest in our lime tree last
year, only about 4 feet above the ground, so we were treated to even more
sightings of the babies flying around. And we have two bird houses in back
that redheaded woodpeckers *remodel* every year. It's really fun to watch.

Diana

Old 24-04-2007, 03:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:55:54 -0700, Wendy7 wrote
(in article ):

With no feathers, these little guys are so tiny, about the size of a
fingernail, look like bugs. The eggs look like breath mints.

The inside of the nest is about 1/2 inch across.

If you look carefully there is a tiny bit of orange which is one of the
chicks beaks.

At 6 days old they have doubled in size & will actually fledge at about 24
days old.

Cheers Wendy

You sure get some nice dividends for having your thousands of plants
outdoors. Do keep documenting their progress.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200