GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/163620-queensland-orchid-society-show-dockrillia-teretifolia.html)

Dave Gillingham 22-08-2007 08:21 AM

Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia

1 Attachment(s)
Went to the QOS show last weekend. The Spring bloomers are just starting to
show. (There's q straight line if ever I saw one!) Many lovely plants there,
but a small selection of the Aussie species & hybrids over the next couple of
nights.

This was a lovely specimen of Dockrillia teretifolia. I was speaking to one of
the judges, who said it just missed out on Champion Specimen.

For the purists who like a good closeup of a bloom, this species typically
presents upside down so that, short of kneeling very awkwardly & then pointing
the camera up, you can't get a good view of the flower :-(
Dave Gillingham

SuE 22-08-2007 10:27 PM

Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:06:03 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

Wow, what a plant!

Diana

Diana don't you and Frank need 2 -- one on each end of the patio?
grin
That is a true display of dedication to growing long term. The only
ones I have seen could be held in one hand. Marvelous.
SuE

Eric Hunt[_1_] 23-08-2007 01:46 AM

Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia

Sue,

We can grow them like that on this side of the pond!

Witness Marni Turkel's Dockrillia teretifolia, blooming this past February,
exhibited at the Pacific Orchid Exposition:

http://tinyurl.com/2fgyrp

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

Dave Gillingham 23-08-2007 03:10 AM

Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia

1 Attachment(s)
Glad you all liked it. One common name is "bridal veil orchid" - you can see
why! But then, another common name is "rat's tail orchid"!

On a bushwalk a couple of years ago we saw a huge example growing from the base
of a staghorn very high up in a large tree. Not in bloom unfortunately. 300 mm
lens photo attached. I've been back a couple of times since, but have not yet
caught it flowering. I would estimate its length to be at least 15 feet.

Dave Gillingham 26-08-2007 10:35 AM

Queensland Orchid Society Show - Dockrillia teretifolia

Thanks, Peter.

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:32:54 GMT, "P Max" wrote:

Great in situ shots, Dave,
Peter

Dave Gillingham