GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Friends on the patio (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/172911-friends-patio.html)

wendy7 12-04-2008 04:15 AM

Friends on the patio

1 Attachment(s)
C. intermedia x C. Elizabeth Carlson and Den. Vineyard x Den. Cartwheel.
Cheers Wendy

Diana Kulaga[_5_] 12-04-2008 08:55 PM

Friends on the patio

Very pretty! They compliment each other.

Diana

Dave Gillingham 13-04-2008 07:30 AM

Friends on the patio

Very nice indeed, Wendy.
I went looking up the lineage of the Den, and found what I believe to be an
error in Orchid Wiz:

D. Vineyard is given as 1/8 phalaenopsis & tokai, 1/4 discolor, & 1/2
veratrifolium. No argument - it's one of the photos that worries me:

D. veratrifolium is a synonym for D. lineale. Historically, very early in the
piece a terrestrial orchid - Phaius tankervilleae - was also named as D.
veratrifolium until the error in generic classification was identified.

Orchid Wiz's photo illustrating D. veratrifolium is in fact of Phaius
tankervilleae. I believe it would be highly unlikely (read impossible) for this
plant to be hybridised wirh a Dendrobe.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:15:29 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

C. intermedia x C. Elizabeth Carlson and Den. Vineyard x Den. Cartwheel.
Cheers Wendy

Dave Gillingham

wendy7 14-04-2008 03:52 PM

Friends on the patio

Hey Dave, It just shows to go that nothing is written in stone. I wonder if
Orchid Wiz would like to know.

I started looking for pics of the orchids that you listed, still could not
find all of them & what
gave my cross the heavy deep purple colour?
Thanks for the info.
Cheers Wendy

Ray B 14-04-2008 05:20 PM

Friends on the patio

OrchidWiz clearly states that the photo IS of the phaius.

Almost everything was called a dendrobium early on!

Dendrobium veratrifolium Roxb. 1832 is what we now know as Phaius
tankervilleae.

Dendrobium veratrifolium Lindl. non Roxb. 1843 is the dendrobium now known
as D. lineale

K Barrett 14-04-2008 09:20 PM

Friends on the patio

Going back to the old Sanders books, there's another line of breeding using
D lineale (veratrifolium) - 44th Battalion and 100th Batallion - which OW
states are hybrids with Den. lineale. There is an error in Orchidwiz which
Dave should email Alex (OW) about.

K Barrett