Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Friends on the patio

C. intermedia x C. Elizabeth Carlson and Den. Vineyard x Den. Cartwheel.
Cheers Wendy
Attached Thumbnails
Friends on the patio-c-intermedia-x-c-elizabethcarlson-724.1-01885.jpg
Old 12-04-2008, 08:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Very pretty! They compliment each other.

Diana

Old 13-04-2008, 07:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Very nice indeed, Wendy.
I went looking up the lineage of the Den, and found what I believe to be an
error in Orchid Wiz:

D. Vineyard is given as 1/8 phalaenopsis & tokai, 1/4 discolor, & 1/2
veratrifolium. No argument - it's one of the photos that worries me:

D. veratrifolium is a synonym for D. lineale. Historically, very early in the
piece a terrestrial orchid - Phaius tankervilleae - was also named as D.
veratrifolium until the error in generic classification was identified.

Orchid Wiz's photo illustrating D. veratrifolium is in fact of Phaius
tankervilleae. I believe it would be highly unlikely (read impossible) for this
plant to be hybridised wirh a Dendrobe.

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:15:29 -0700, "Wendy7" wrote:

C. intermedia x C. Elizabeth Carlson and Den. Vineyard x Den. Cartwheel.
Cheers Wendy

Dave Gillingham
Old 14-04-2008, 03:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Hey Dave, It just shows to go that nothing is written in stone. I wonder if
Orchid Wiz would like to know.

I started looking for pics of the orchids that you listed, still could not
find all of them & what
gave my cross the heavy deep purple colour?
Thanks for the info.
Cheers Wendy
news

Old 14-04-2008, 05:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

OrchidWiz clearly states that the photo IS of the phaius.

Almost everything was called a dendrobium early on!

Dendrobium veratrifolium Roxb. 1832 is what we now know as Phaius
tankervilleae.

Dendrobium veratrifolium Lindl. non Roxb. 1843 is the dendrobium now known
as D. lineale

Old 14-04-2008, 09:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Going back to the old Sanders books, there's another line of breeding using
D lineale (veratrifolium) - 44th Battalion and 100th Batallion - which OW
states are hybrids with Den. lineale. There is an error in Orchidwiz which
Dave should email Alex (OW) about.

K Barrett

"Wendy7" wrote in message
[...]

Rate This Thread: