GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cattleya Brabantiae? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchid-photos/175590-cattleya-brabantiae.html)

tenman 07-06-2008 03:57 AM

Cattleya Brabantiae?

2 Attachment(s)
Got this several years ago as a run-down, scrawny backbulb div from a
plant at the local conservatory where I repot. It has finally bloomed
and I have been eagerly anticipating a lovely pink flower, like all the
other brabantiaes I have seen or seen pics of. Imagine my extreme
disappointment when this bronze-ish flower opened after the years of
babying the plant and giving it precious space in the high-light area.
However, the lip is outstanding (second pic). No fragrance I can detect
as yet.

Anyone know if brabantiae opens pale and 'pinks up' later? I'm beginning
to think the original plant was mislabelled at the conservatory.

K Barrett 07-06-2008 06:11 AM

Cattleya Brabantiae?

tenman wrote:
Got this several years ago as a run-down, scrawny backbulb div from a
plant at the local conservatory where I repot. It has finally bloomed
and I have been eagerly anticipating a lovely pink flower, like all the
other brabantiaes I have seen or seen pics of. Imagine my extreme
disappointment when this bronze-ish flower opened after the years of
babying the plant and giving it precious space in the high-light area.
However, the lip is outstanding (second pic). No fragrance I can detect
as yet.

Anyone know if brabantiae opens pale and 'pinks up' later? I'm beginning
to think the original plant was mislabelled at the conservatory.

IMHO this ain't Brabantiae. Go to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate's
home page and look at theirt pics. Like you say, small round pink with
splash petals....

K Barrett
(send this one to me)

V_coerulea 08-06-2008 01:05 PM

Cattleya Brabantiae?

It looks like a schilleriana to me. Very nice picture and looks like a well
grown plant to offer up these 2 fine flowers.
Gary

news:6OCdnYpCrvu1ZNTVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...