Old 07-06-2008, 03:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Cattleya Brabantiae?

Got this several years ago as a run-down, scrawny backbulb div from a
plant at the local conservatory where I repot. It has finally bloomed
and I have been eagerly anticipating a lovely pink flower, like all the
other brabantiaes I have seen or seen pics of. Imagine my extreme
disappointment when this bronze-ish flower opened after the years of
babying the plant and giving it precious space in the high-light area.
However, the lip is outstanding (second pic). No fragrance I can detect
as yet.

Anyone know if brabantiae opens pale and 'pinks up' later? I'm beginning
to think the original plant was mislabelled at the conservatory.

Attached Thumbnails
Cattleya Brabantiae?-brabantiae.jpg   Cattleya Brabantiae?-brabantiaelip.jpg
Old 07-06-2008, 06:11 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

tenman wrote:
Got this several years ago as a run-down, scrawny backbulb div from a
plant at the local conservatory where I repot. It has finally bloomed
and I have been eagerly anticipating a lovely pink flower, like all the
other brabantiaes I have seen or seen pics of. Imagine my extreme
disappointment when this bronze-ish flower opened after the years of
babying the plant and giving it precious space in the high-light area.
However, the lip is outstanding (second pic). No fragrance I can detect
as yet.

Anyone know if brabantiae opens pale and 'pinks up' later? I'm beginning
to think the original plant was mislabelled at the conservatory.

IMHO this ain't Brabantiae. Go to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estate's
home page and look at theirt pics. Like you say, small round pink with
splash petals....

K Barrett
(send this one to me)

Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

It looks like a schilleriana to me. Very nice picture and looks like a well
grown plant to offer up these 2 fine flowers.
Gary

"tenman" wrote in message
news:6OCdnYpCrvu1ZNTVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
Got this several years ago as a run-down, scrawny backbulb div from a
plant at the local conservatory where I repot. It has finally bloomed
and I have been eagerly anticipating a lovely pink flower, like all the
other brabantiaes I have seen or seen pics of. Imagine my extreme
disappointment when this bronze-ish flower opened after the years of
babying the plant and giving it precious space in the high-light area.
However, the lip is outstanding (second pic). No fragrance I can detect
as yet.

Anyone know if brabantiae opens pale and 'pinks up' later? I'm beginning
to think the original plant was mislabelled at the conservatory.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

CATTLEYA BRABANTIAE variations jtill Orchids 1 29-04-2007 03:27 PM
Cattleya loddigesii - lovely silky-smooth purple bifoliate cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 05-01-2007 02:04 AM
Cattleya jenmanii - classic large-flowered Cattleya Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 2 02-01-2007 07:55 PM
Cattleya 'Virtue' John Mallery Orchids 1 05-06-2003 02:20 AM
Cattleya blooming jim Orchids 4 03-02-2003 09:55 AM