GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchids in novels (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/107303-orchids-novels.html)

Chris Savas 23-09-2005 12:14 AM

Orchids in novels

Granted, there are many mentions of orchids in print, TV, etc.

When I was a child during the '30s, there was a comic strip in the Sunday
Chicago Tribune. The title was 'Brenda Starr' who was a newspaper reporter.
Another character in the strip was a mysterious man (an admirerer?) who grew
BLACK ORCHIDS.

Anyone else remember that long ago (or care to admit it) ?

I had to wait until I was almost 30 yrs before I got my first orchid, but so
far I have NOT found that BLACK catt.

Good growing, all.
Chris

jadel 23-09-2005 12:56 PM

Chris Savas wrote:
Granted, there are many mentions of orchids in print, TV, etc.

When I was a child during the '30s, there was a comic strip in the Sunday
Chicago Tribune. The title was 'Brenda Starr' who was a newspaper reporter.
Another character in the strip was a mysterious man (an admirerer?) who grew
BLACK ORCHIDS.

The character was Ms Starr's lover, Basil St John. He needed the
orchids to produce a serum for protection against some unspecified
exotic disease.

He wore an eye-patch, IIRC.

J. Del Col

Diana Kulaga 23-09-2005 07:16 PM

I was in love with him! He used to drop in and out of her life. Humph. Like
some other men I've known.....

Diana