Old 08-11-2005, 09:08 PM
K Barrett

Default Copied from Jay's Internet Orchid Encyclopedia

Hurricane Wilma Report! First off, My wife and children are fine and we
still have a roof over our heads, and basically we lost only some of our
furniture. Yesterday I ripped out all the walls in the house to 3' high
so as to dry out the interior of the walls and get rid of all the wet
insulation. Now to the really bad part. I have lost most all my personal
orchids, as well as the ones I sell on ebay due to sal****er flooding!
The ebay plant sales have been suppling cash to operate the site and buy
books. I put them on the floor in my living room so they would not get
wind damage, but we had 13" of seawater in the house from the tidal
surge. The plants with clay pots fortunately did not float so the medium
stayed in as well as the tags but it meant that the pots were fully
submerged for the duration of the event. We saved most all the important
things and life is getting back to normal. The major problem is now
funding the site, until some of the plants recover. For the last few
years I sold orchids on ebay to pay for the internet hosting of this
site and reference books to make this site as complete as it is. This
year alone I bought on ebay over $2000.00 in old books. In the past I
had occasionally asked for donations to fund the site and it seems that
we are back to that system. Please send any amount to TO PAYPAL PAY TO
Or by Snail Mail to:

IOSPE

c/o Jay Pfahl/Neptune Designs

301 Duval St

Key West Fl 33040

All funds will be used for the page only, I do have flood insurance and
it seems that they will pay for all my personal losses over 500.00. I
hope to get back to funding by plant sales by the summer.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Diana Kulaga

Yes, I saw that. Those folks got hammered. Martin Motes came to our meeting
this afternoon, as planned. I didn't think he'd make it. He lost two
greenhouses and had lots of other damage. Wonderful speaker, of course. I
plan a separate thread about his talk.

Diana

Old 10-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Eric Hunt

Kathy,

I've sent my check.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

. ..

Old 10-11-2005, 04:14 PM
K Barrett

As have I. I didn't know he was selling orchids to pay for the site.
Good thinking on his part. Hmmm. I wonder if he'd take orchid donations
from local hobbyists? In order to rebuild his stock. Just a thought.

Eric Hunt wrote:
Kathy,

I've sent my check.

-Eric in SF