Old 13-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Pat

Default epi not flowering

Hi,
I've had orchids for about 5 years. One of them is labeled epi. radicans.
I bought it at an auction of the local orchid society about 3 years ago. It
looks very healthy, has lots of leaves and wonderful roots. But, it has
never bloomed. On the advice of the orchid group, I had been feeding the
orchids every week but at a greatly reduced amount -- about 1/4 teaspoon (or
less) of fertilizer in a gallon of water.

This summer I put all of them outside and got out of the habit of feeding
them so much. We're in Champaign, IL. I brought them inside about 6 weeks
ago and I have fed them just once since then. I check to see if they need
watering regularly and water only when they need it. They are in a room
with good light--southwest exposure. The epi is right in front of the
window so it does get direct sunlight in the afternoon. The humidity ranges
from 40-55% in the room and I have a fan on a timer running about an hour
four times a day. Not sure there is enough difference between day and night
temperature in that room.

My phals, dendrobium and cattleya all bloom. Clearly I'm missing something
with this one plant. Would appreciate any hints on helping it bloom.

Thanks,
Patricia

--
***This message has been scanned for viruses by Norton Utilities ***

Old 13-11-2005, 11:03 PM
Kenni Judd

Patricia: Fertilizer is not your problem on this plant, nor is day-night
temp. differential -- it's light.. Epi. radicans is a south Florida
native, and enjoys _full sun_ here -- more light than you could possibly
provide even outdoors, never mind indoors, regardless of windows. Your
sunlight is simply not as intense as ours.

Get it outside at the earliest possible time in your spring. And leave it
to last, when you bring things in for the winter. It shouldn't get frost,
but it will easily tolerate 40F. Upper thirties may put some purple color
in the leaves, but won't kill it. If that doesn't work, then either get it
a grow-light for the winter, or use it for a gift to someone who lives well
south of you G.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 14-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Teck Hong

Other than more lght, try using a fertilizer with higher P and K plus Zinc a
micro-nutrient if you do not already have it in your usual routine.

TH

Old 15-11-2005, 02:06 AM
Pat

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try.
Patricia

Epidendrum magnoliae (syn. Epi. conopseum) prem_s Orchids 0 04-07-2004 08:03 AM
Epi. Plastic Doll Diana Kulaga Orchids 19 19-01-2004 07:34 PM
Epi. cinnabarinum Diana Kulaga Orchids 9 04-12-2003 09:42 PM
Epi. parksonianum Sekanek Orchids 0 30-05-2003 04:10 PM
Epi. vs. Enc? Diana Kulaga Orchids 3 24-02-2003 03:53 PM