Old 15-11-2005, 03:20 AM
eeyore

Default pleurothallis racemiflora

Sorry I keep asking questions and don't seem to be contributing answers.

Having small space, I've been trying to purchase a variety, rather than a
lot of the same type. Anyway, brought a pleurothallis racemiflora. Seems
happy, but never seems to move beyond the 8-10 leaf stalks it had when I got
it. This has ben going on for close to two years.

Also, does this ring a bell with anyone. Brought an unidentified orchid,
with what best I can describe as cattleya stems, but the upper parts are
just leaves that look much more like stems than leaves. Produces one tiny
trumpet like flower at the tip of each stem.

Thanks to anyone who can help. Perhaps I should ask Santa for more
orchid books and a digital camera. Thanks again.

Old 15-11-2005, 02:52 PM
J Fortuna

Eeyore,

I saw in your previous post (on 10/24) that it is a very hot summer where
you are, right? I looked up pleurothallis culture, and read that they like
it intermediate to cool. So maybe the temperature is the problem?

I too have limited space. But unlike you I tend to not go for variety, since
I am reluctant to get orchids with cultural requirements that I cannot meet.
Though I am maybe a bit too conservative and people have told me that I
could probably experiment with more genera than I have thus far.

Where are you located and what kind of environment do you grow in
(greenhouse? windowsill -- if so which direction? outdoors?)? What are the
min and max temperatures that your orchids are exposed to? How much light?
How much humidity? If you provide detailed info about your growing
conditions, someone here will probably be able to tell you more about how
these conditions would need to be adjusted to suit your pleuro better.

By the way, aside from the temperature requirements, the other thing that I
saw in the pleuro information that I was able to find online was that
pleuros are quite sensitive to water quality. What kind of water do you use
to water your orchids (tap water, rain water, bottled water, etc.)? And how
much do you fertilize them?

Joanna

Old 15-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Rob

J Fortuna wrote:
Eeyore,

I saw in your previous post (on 10/24) that it is a very hot summer where
you are, right? I looked up pleurothallis culture, and read that they like
it intermediate to cool. So maybe the temperature is the problem?

P. racemiflora is indestructable, and tolerant of pretty much any abuse,
in my experience. Certainly not as touchy as you would think of most
pleurothallids. Mine has survived temperatures in the 100s and low
30's, no water for a week or two, very bright light and very little...

It must be easy, even I can grow it...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 16-11-2005, 01:19 AM
eeyore

My apologies to you both for replying to you both privately. Not sure how I
screwed up twice. Thanks for your ideas.