Old 05-03-2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Default Miami Orchid Show... save your money

Diana,

Yes, maybe the Miami International Orchid Festival in January could have
used a few more vendors, but after this year's SFOS turd I think next year
the MIOF will get a harder look from serious orchid aficionados wanting to
get the most bang for their buck. The MIOF shows serious promise in years
to come as a contender. I hope MIOF can at least overtake SFOS next year if
they haven't already.

The Ft Lauderdale show is and has been a total waste for the last 7 years.

For out-of-towners trying to decide which Florida show to see... there is no
contest. The Redland International Orchid Show packs the most punch and the
best selection of orchids for your money, especially REAL orchids (ie
species).

Mick

==========================

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Redland Rules in Florida! Long live the (upcoming) Redland International
Orchid Show!

Mick

It's the ultimate orchid rummage sale, and we love it! The Miami Festival
that Martin Motes put together in January was a little better than some,
but nowhere near enough vendors. Still, digging produced some neat finds
here and there. We don't generally go to Fort Lauderdale or Miami anymore.
Same old, same old.

Redland is just around the corner. Redland, Gilbert's, Largo, in that
order!

Diana

Old 05-03-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Actually it's the Redland International Orchid "Festival". I'd have a hard
time calling it a show. When I think of an orchid "show", displays are a
major part of it. The one time I went to Redlands a few years ago there
wasn't much of a display area, but dozens of vendors. Personally I think
there is plenty of room for both kinds of events. There is also a big
difference between a climate-controlled show and the hot/muggy/gnat infested
experience of Redlands :-) I've never been to either of the Miami shows,
but will probably return to Redlands eventually since it is such a great
place to buy plants. (Unfortunately my last Redlands experience wasn't too
great because some a--hole stole my Ecuagenera order out of my shopping
basket when I set it down to pay for something else.)
-danny

Old 05-03-2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Danny: Displays are pretty, but there are downsides. (1) They run up the
cost of doing the show and thus discourage vendor participation. (2) They
send a terrible message to the potential newbies that have never grown
orchids before -- and think they can grow orchids like that (planted in the
ground along with their ferns, all genera mixed together, etc.). It may be
hard to believe, for those interested enough to be reading this ng, but I
routinely hear "but I saw them planted like that at (name your show)" when
folks bring me a dead or dying orchid to diagnose and try to treat ... Kenni